Wigglers At Last!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Shawn:
I actually moved here from Hollywood, FL so I know the area you are in ( worked in Hialeah for years ;) ) The difference between here and there is like night & day :whistle: I am atually still another 25 miles east of Winter Haven in RURAL Lake Wales. It's even nicer here :brows:
When you are tired of the congestion down there, come on up and you can start breeding fish for me :D ( or help build a building :lol:)
(y)

Small world! I actually have Lakeland on the list of possible places should I decide to escape the congestion one day. Breeding fish and building buildings, that's a swell welcome!

So... todays update... Mercury, one pf my silver girls, started getting ready 2 spawn, and her and Leo spent all morning flirting through the divider. So u swapped her with Castiel, my marble girl. Now Mercury and Leo are both cleaning the slate after just a couple minutes chasing each other and some pecking... Castiel on the other hand is not impressed with her new roomy, Freckles, the other silver and they are having a face off.

ForumRunner_20130614_132510.jpg
Leo and Mercury

ForumRunner_20130614_132802.jpg
Castiel and Freckles

So my veil silver and one of my marble males started cleaning the curved price in the back of my tank instead of the slate I put in there. So I just got back from home depot and got some tile that's 3x14 and lined the curved piece so it would deter them hopefully they catch my drift so I can pull the eggs and hatch them out.

So my veil silver and one of my marble males started cleaning the curved price in the back of my tank instead of the slate I put in there. So I just got back from home depot and got some tile that's 3x14 and lined the curved piece so it would deter them hopefully they catch my drift so I can pull the eggs and hatch them out.

That's the way ;) You should also take note of where in the tank this piece is. (i.e. back, front, side, heavy brush, wide open, lit, dark, etc.) This will come in handy if/ when you need to move them to another tank. Just replicate what they chose.
Keep us posted (y)

Its funny when my first pair was in my community tank the always laid in one spot so I put a slate in but it wasn't tall enough and they layer just above it. Since putting them in their own tank last week they are finally adjusted to it. my other pair layed in the same spot as the first pair so I got a taller late and covered it up but wouldn't you know they are cleaning right next to it. That's when I covered it all up. But it must be the season for love in my community tank. My angels are gonna lay today in the light off period I have in my tank then my bosemani rainbows are acting fray and my dwarf neon rainbows are scattering on my plants as I'm typing this.

Woke up before work last night to eggs!!!! And now both parents are tending the eggs... i have the heater unplugged as the tank was a bit warm and the heater doesnt hold the right temp...(i have a new heater, just havent changed them yet...)can i turn it on and slowly bring up the temp???? With the new heater that is... oh, and im letting the parents try to
raise fry 2 a point... then they will be moved

ForumRunner_20130615_082022.jpg
Both parent tending eggs

The first three are my pair breeding today or tomorrow. The marble Oki is a female I believe then my super veil pearlscale male then the last two are my pair that are in their own 20. the silver 2 years old and a female and the white is a male that's only 8-12 months. The white male and the super veil are from the same clutch of eggs.

Nice angels!!! My male is a veil, maybe superveil smokey lace. His fins are short cause i got him out of an overstocked tank full of tetras and other nippers... the female he is with is just a silver, i also have her sister; also silver a marble female, and a small juv black zebra...

Lol yup!!! I had him with the marble for a bit, but when i first got him he had shown preferance for this silver so when she got ready 2 spawn again i put her with him... this was around 1 pm yesterday... by the time i got up for work @ 9 last night they had eggs and were both tending them...

Well I wasn't so lucky I came home today and found my Angels laid on the glass instead of the tiles. So I took 3 prices of tile and made them disappear from the parents and put an air stone by them to move water the air isn't directly on the eggs. Hopefully it will be enough to hatch them

ForumRunner_20130616_135047.jpg

ForumRunner_20130616_135038.jpg

ForumRunner_20130616_135027.jpg

Well I wasn't so lucky I came home today and found my Angels laid on the glass instead of the tiles. So I took 3 prices of tile and made them disappear from the parents and put an air stone by them to move water the air isn't directly on the eggs. Hopefully it will be enough to hatch them

View attachment 180741

View attachment 180740

View attachment 180739

You know what that tells me? That says that whatever material you were using wasn't to the fish's liking better than the glass was. I use plain Slate or Flat Shale rock for spawning. Maybe you need to try some basics? Go to a Mom &Pop shop and get some rock OR try the Breeding slate that Penn Plax ( I believe) makes. Other options include Large diameter PVC pipe, Clay flower pots, Driftwood ( shaped to be able to be removed from the tank), Or a glass pane cut to a easy to handle size (Since they have proven they don't mind using glass ;)) or possibly a piece of colored plexiglass ( I'd use colored so that you can see the eggs better).

Hope this helps (y)
Keep us posted on the eggs :)

Hey everyone, I'm the newsletter committee chairman for The Angelfish Society and wanted to share the June issue of FinTAStic. Breeding will be the focus of the next issue so I will be looking for guest authors (hint, hint). Hope you guys enjoy!

Low Resolution 3.3mb
http://www.theangelfishsociety.org/newsletters/2013_June_LowRes_2.1.pdf

High Resolution 5.5mb
http://www.theangelfishsociety.org/newsletters/2013_June_HighRes_v2.1.pdf

Shawn

Thanks for sharing this Shawn (y)
I especially liked the article about the Altum Angels. I saw AFUSA's Angels when the hatchery was at their house. I was enamered by them for sure ( even a bit jealous as I LOVE!!! Wild Altums.) I was fortunate to have a pair back in the early 1970s and got one spawn from them before I moved to FL. I haven't had that kind of success with them since then as a breeder and struggled with them as an importer. (Now, of course, I know why I had problems ;))
Keep up the good work with the newsletters. (y)

Thanks Andy. The Altum tank is a thing of beauty. Seeing Altums in person was a fun moment, the enormity of their scale was comical! I know they're bigger but didn't really appreciate it until there was a tankful staring at me.

Thanks Andy. The Altum tank is a thing of beauty. Seeing Altums in person was a fun moment, the enormity of their scale was comical! I know they're bigger but didn't really appreciate it until there was a tankful staring at me.

And that's why I LOVE!!!!! those fish. Angelfish, in their natural form and finnage.... nothing better (y) :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom