Wigglers At Last!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Any of my Florida neighbors attending the Florida Fish Expo this weekend? I'm driving in for the auction Sunday and would love to connect in person.

Shawn

So I finally got some pics of the new fish. Excuse the poor quality but my tanks are outdoors and getting good shots through clean glass is almost impossible at close range. ;) For those who see it, NO there is nothing wrong with their eyes. They came out that way cause I shot at an angle so that is reflections from their eyes.
Top pics: Marble Veil #1, Marble Veil#2 and 1 of the Koi Veils
Bottom Left: My Scaredy Koi fully recovered, eating and kicking Butt
Bottom Right: 1 of 2 Gold Marbles
More pics can be found in my Albums (y)

Attachments

• Lger Marble Veil.jpg
    Lger Marble Veil.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 60
  • Koi- Marble veil.jpg
    Koi- Marble veil.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 62
  • Scairdy Koi.jpg
    Scairdy Koi.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 55
  • Gold Marble.jpg
    Gold Marble.jpg
    260.5 KB · Views: 66
They are beautiful looking fish Andy!

Thanks Ray & Bdonaldson ;)
What is amazing is how hard it was and how many stores I needed to go to to find these few fish. I had to pick through a lot of fish just to get these.:facepalm: It shouldn't be this way (IMO) But we all are going to change that, aren't we Guys?!!! :D (y)

Excited to see what comes from your breeding program!

I'm excited as well but I need to get more fish. I"m almost positive that each type are going to be brother and sister based on where I got them. The only ones I'm not concerned about are the Kois. I got them from 3 different stores and 2 different states. What are the odds of them being siblings? lol :blink:
I want to breed color specific so the hunt is still on :facepalm:

Thanks Ray & Bdonaldson ;)
What is amazing is how hard it was and how many stores I needed to go to to find these few fish. I had to pick through a lot of fish just to get these.:facepalm: It shouldn't be this way (IMO) But we all are going to change that, aren't we Guys?!!! :D (y)

Yes we are definitely going to try and change things for the better. I actually found a good store in Virginia. I don't know what area you are in but if you ever get to Virginia this store is a must visit. They sell saltwater and freshwater fish and they have the best stock of angelfish that I have seen in a long time. I will get the name and address for you later today.

Yes we are definitely going to try and change things for the better. I actually found a good store in Virginia. I don't know what area you are in but if you ever get to Virginia this store is a must visit. They sell saltwater and freshwater fish and they have the best stock of angelfish that I have seen in a long time. I will get the name and address for you later today.

I went to the Va Beach area stores when I was up there. I definitely would like to find other stores in other areas so I can get other lines of fish. ( Maybe West side of the state.) I could be back in MD in a couple of months so let me know what you find (y)

There is a reason why I constantly advise that if you are going to breed Angelfish, you need to be prepared BEFORE you breed them. Learn the fish's normal behavior then learn YOUR fish's normal behavior. Have tanks at the ready and be prepared for swift action.
Here's the scenario:
Below pictured is a tank with a divider in it. The divided section was originally for my scaredy KOI Angel but I used it in the meantime to separate the 2 marble Veils and 1 other Koi Veil that was being a bit timid with the Silvers, Larger Koi, and Gold Marbles in the larger section of the tank. All the fish in this tank have been growing and eating like pigs, 4 meals a day. 2 days ago I finally got my master test kit and tested the ammonia and nitrite levels in this tank. I had tried to seed the DIY sponge filter I made with material from my other sponge filters so I have not really been paying any real attention to the levels beside the hardness and PH and relied on the fish's behavior to tell me when something wasn't right. I tested the water and saw that there was a slight rise in the ammonia level but no nitrite reading so I performed a 5 gal water change (theres' only about 20 gals of water in the tank ATM) and added PRIME so I didn't need to worry about the ammonia being toxic. All the fish ate their dinner after that. Meanwhile, in my other 30 gal which now housed "Scaredy" and a buddy and a test Betta I got a clean water reading.
Today, I go to feed the fish and only the 2 Silvers and the larger Koi Angel ate. Not normal. I tested the water and the ammonia level was slightly less than the other day so the water chemistry was not the issue. What was strange was even the fish divided from the more aggressive fish didn't eat either. I decided to move all the other fish ( but not the Silvers) into Scaredy's tank immediately. No acclimation ( because I knew the water was the same in both tanks) and within an hour, all the fish were up and swimming and looking for food. ( The pics I took at this point are in my albums.) Now, unfortunately, the larger section of the divided tank is hidden behind a large plant the GF has on the porch so it's not so easy to see but I noticed the 2 silvers were acting "friendly" and upon close inspection, I saw what I didn't want to see (yet). I put a little note where you should be looking in the photo.
So now the 2 fish are divided because I happend to also notice the other Silver's "little friend" was out and pointed. These fish are too small to be breeding (for me) so they will need to grow up a bit more before I let them have at it.
The point to this whole excersize is to reinforce the danger you put your other fish in when you try to gang spawn or house more than a single pair of fish in a tank. The fish not even exposed to the Silvers directly were effected by them in some way just by being in the water. Why else would they cower in their regular tank and come back to life in the other tank so fast? Keep in mind that Silvers still ate and were preparing to spawn as well.
Just something to think about :whistle:
(BTW: I was pretty sure they were a male and female when I got them from Sharkey's in NJ ;) )

Attachments

• Female Silver with Tube closeup.jpg
    Female Silver with Tube closeup.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 65
  • Divided tank.jpg
    Divided tank.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 55
Well I was hoping that the surprise of being separated from her mate might halt the spawning process but it didn't. In the time it took to write my previous post, the female laid about 150-200 eggs. As suspected, they were very small and would have produced very tiny fry which I am not interested in raising. I decided to just destroy the spawn as I didn't want her to become an egg eater and didn't want the male to get a taste of eggs either.
So now the counting begins and hopefully she will not be in a hurry to spawn again until she gets a bit larger.

my silver female is pretty small also, part of why im lettting them tend fry on their own for a bit... but i have a question... i have had babies for 5 days now, but they are still attached 2 the rock... yolk sacks are almost gone, and they are much more active, could a young mother be the reason behind this? or is it something else? tank is 80 degrees, parents are seperated from other fish, and params are normal, but i need 2 do a wc soon, and plan on doing one as soon as i can remove the fry...

So so excited that I have wigglers now. Can't get any pics right now due to the fact that they are in the methane blue. It's hard to see them in there. I started doing pwc's today so maybe in a couple of days I will be able to get some pics to post. Hopefully all goes well.

Well I just checked my first batch of brine shrimp and they are ready to go when the babies become free swimmingly and started a second batch of brine shrimp today.

my silver female is pretty small also, part of why im lettting them tend fry on their own for a bit... but i have a question... i have had babies for 5 days now, but they are still attached 2 the rock... yolk sacks are almost gone, and they are much more active, could a young mother be the reason behind this? or is it something else? tank is 80 degrees, parents are seperated from other fish, and params are normal, but i need 2 do a wc soon, and plan on doing one as soon as i can remove the fry...

The fry from my silvers start to swim on day five where as my koi angels start swimming on day seven. My koi have been at it 6 months longer than my silvers and they haven't got the parenting thing down where as my silvers got it right the first time

Well I just checked my first batch of brine shrimp and they are ready to go when the babies become free swimmingly and started a second batch of brine shrimp today.

the brine shrimp are most nutritious within 12 hours of hatching, so dont start them til the day before you need them or they are being wasted... they dont really keep as the yolk sack they hatch with is the nutritious part... also, my pair is first timers also, my male and a small silver female... a few of the wigglers are swimming out but seem 2 be tethered 2 the rock... hopefully swimmers soon... tank is up with sponge prefilter and baffle as i dont have $ 2 buy a sponge filter ATM, but hopefully soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom