Wigglers At Last!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Keep a record of how often they are spawning so you can make a predictable schedule for yourself. You'd be amazed how handy this little bit of info comes into play down the road. ;)
This is how I made making a lot fish an easy thing to do (y)

Great! (Sarcasm). My memory sucks lol. How am I going to remember the details. Then it dawned on me that this thread is basically a log already. ;) the little guys are eating well. You can see little orange bellies on them after I've fed them

I keep the parents separate of my community tank since the first spawning. The tank is a natural setting for them (gravel and plants) though the plants are still small. I moved them back in September and they've been spawning every 25-28 days. That being said the way they are cleaning the slate they maybe picking up the pace. Someone said they do a WC on Friday and the pair spawns on Monday and that what happened with mine. I typically do WC on Friday so I guess we will see Monday:)

LOL. Get yourself a black sharpie and write dates on the spawning tank AND the tank you move the fry to. Once you see the consistant pattern, you can use a single edge razorblade, a scrub pad or some acetone to clean the outside of the tank. (I didn't clean my breeder's tank of dates until the side was filled up. :D lol)

Welcome to the fish business (y)

Sorry to sound ignorant but i read this and have really considered breeding angelfish how exactly do you sex male and females and what size angels should i buy

Sorry to sound ignorant but i read this and have really considered breeding angelfish how exactly do you sex male and females and what size angels should i buy

Don't feel ignorant, not a lot of people can accurately sex adult Angels externally unless they see them spawning. (The one laying the eggs is the female. ;) :lol: ) There are some external attributes (that a trained eye might see) that are consistant with males and females. I used to have a 90%-95% accuracy rate at sexing them via carefully studying the adult fish in the tank looking for behaviors, fin positions, size, etc. But now, with multiple generations of new colors and morphs, I wouldn't hazard a guess just by a picture anymore :nono:

That all being said, the best way to get a breeding pair of Angels is to raise up a group of smaller fish (6-12) and let them pair off naturally. If you don't want to wait, don't buy small fish. (Angels can breed at about 8 months old but I prefer to let them get a bit older and let them spawn at about 1 year old.) Get mediums to young breeder sized fish. You should have a pair within 4-6 months.

Hope this helps (y)

That's the best my phone could take. There quite a lot of them. So they are in a 10g the filled 3/4 full. Still has blue in it and I'm thinking I should still do daily WC. How much of a WC should be done?

Attachments

• image-2280686387.jpg
    image-2280686387.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 156
Don't feel ignorant, not a lot of people can accurately sex adult Angels externally unless they see them spawning. (The one laying the eggs is the female. ;) :lol: ) There are some external attributes (that a trained eye might see) that are consistant with males and females. I used to have a 90%-95% accuracy rate at sexing them via carefully studying the adult fish in the tank looking for behaviors, fin positions, size, etc. But now, with multiple generations of new colors and morphs, I wouldn't hazard a guess just by a picture anymore :nono:

That all being said, the best way to get a breeding pair of Angels is to raise up a group of smaller fish (6-12) and let them pair off naturally. If you don't want to wait, don't buy small fish. (Angels can breed at about 8 months old but I prefer to let them get a bit older and let them spawn at about 1 year old.) Get mediums to young breeder sized fish. You should have a pair within 4-6 months.

Hope this helps (y)

Ok thanks ill probably buy about 6 angels and cross my fingers but once i have a pair do i have to find another home for the other angels?

What may happen when they pair off you'll find four of them on one side of the tank and the pair on the other side. They'll typically will chase the other four away from their side. Whether you decide to keep the other four or not I would recommend pulling them from that tank of move the pair to another tank.

My set up so far. The 30g tanks are ready for the fry when they grow out of their 10g. After they outgrow the 30g they will be moved to a 60 and a 75 gallon tanks that's in my wife laundry room. She pretty good about this!

Attachments

• image-2268305047.jpg
    image-2268305047.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 145
That's the best my phone could take. There quite a lot of them. So they are in a 10g the filled 3/4 full. Still has blue in it and I'm thinking I should still do daily WC. How much of a WC should be done?

Trick #2 for getting rid of the blue: Lay a bag of carbon on top of the sponge filter and the water will filter through it and the carbon will filter out the blue.

Tip/trick #3_ Every other day you should be using a small diameter hose ( I like airline tubing for this) with a rigid tube end to siphon out any excess food that the fry did not eat. Replacing the water from doing this will also dilute the blue. (Try not to do more than 10%-15% of volume if you are doing it daily.) I prefer the carbon method better HOWEVER, you may be able to find carbon cartridges that fit or can be made to fit your sponge filters and the problem is no longer a problem.

Tip#4- Don't fret about the blue. Really! I'm not kidding. It's not worth hassling the fry to get rid of it. Just go about your regular routine and the blue will disappear. ;)

Carry on (y)

What may happen when they pair off you'll find four of them on one side of the tank and the pair on the other side. They'll typically will chase the other four away from their side. Whether you decide to keep the other four or not I would recommend pulling them from that tank of move the pair to another tank.

+1. Ray has got the method down. (y) It becomes obvious when you have a pair.

I always suggest breeding the Angels in their own tank. But I also hang on to other older Angels in case one of the pair is not doing what they are supposed to do. You have a stock of adult fish already if you just move the pair. If not, you have to go through the whole waiting thing again ;) That's my opinion :D

Actually I received my pair by pure dumb luck lol ;) They were given to me because the person was making room in their tank for something else. They had no idea tat they were giving me a mated pair because either they were too young (no idea the angels age) or because in an over stocked hex tank there was no room to spawn. Lucky me! ?

Actually I received my pair by pure dumb luck lol ;) They were given to me because the person was making room in their tank for something else. They had no idea tat they were giving me a mated pair because either they were too young (no idea the angels age) or because in an over stocked hex tank there was no room to spawn. Lucky me! ��

Sometimes there is no substitute for "Dumb Luck" :D :ROFLMAO:

In regards to feeding those I know in our aquarium society say the best is to feed them four times a day. The last couple of days I've been around to be able to do that but for today for example I'm out of town for work so won't be home for lunch. What's your take on this. I typically leave for work at 8:30 and return at 5:30.

In regards to feeding those I know in our aquarium society say the best is to feed them four times a day. The last couple of days I've been around to be able to do that but for today for example I'm out of town for work so won't be home for lunch. What's your take on this. I typically leave for work at 8:30 and return at 5:30.

The closer you can get to feeding 3-4 times a day the better. HOWEVER Missing one feeding from time to time will not kill the fry. Missing multiple feedings daily, will. (my schedule only allowed for 3 feedings a day.)

What I used to tell people who had night shift jobs was to darken the tank during the day so the fish would be asleep all day and awake all night. This way, they could get in at least 2 and most times 3 feedings in a 15 hour period. You might just need to adjust your fish's internal clock so that they fit into your schedule if this is a constant thing ;)

Hope this helps (y)

I can do 3 feeding for sure. 8:00 am, 5:30 pm, and 9:30 pm. If I go home for lunch I also feed them at noon. Just concerned of the 9 1/2 hour time gap during the day is too long. Since brine shrimp can survive in fresh water for 5-6 hours would be advisable to put an slight extra amount at 8:00 am feeding or is there is risk of the fry of gorging?

I can do 3 feeding for sure. 8:00 am, 5:30 pm, and 9:30 pm. If I go home for lunch I also feed them at noon. Just concerned of the 9 1/2 hour time gap during the day is too long. Since brine shrimp can survive in fresh water for 5-6 hours would be advisable to put an slight extra amount at 8:00 am feeding or is there is risk of the fry of gorging?

Not only is there a risk of gorging but also pollution from too much excess brine that might not get eaten and die off in tank. By missing a feeding, you only run the risk of the fish growing slower. By over feeding, you run the risk of killing the fry. Which would you choose? ;)

Happy thinking :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom