wiggly white worms. do i worry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tanktop

Aquarium Advice Regular
hi. i'm just setting up my first tank for 25 yrs (i can't think whats kept me away, i'm obsessed already and i haven't even got any fish yet!).

i'm doing a fishless cycle (stuck with obsurd nitrIte levels but thats another story). I set the tank up 2 1/2 weeks ago and got seeding gravel from LFS. i have plants in there (all tropica plants), and 2 pieces bogwood which i soaked for 4 days but didn't boil.

i was sitting watching the bubbles and plants this evening (did i mention obsessed), when i saw this tiny (that is 2 - 3 mm) cream coloured worm trying to wiggle into the substrate.

i assume it hitched a ride on the gravel? or the bogwood? tropica plants are supposed to be sterile.

anyway - do i need to be worried? is it likely to be a parasite, and in which case should i treat my tank?

i do plan on invertebrates, but that is probably weeks or months away and the copper would get washed out with the various PWC i'll be doing, including a 90% prior to getting first batch of glowlights.

any advice gratefully received

I dont know, but I would guess you dont want any type of worms living in their... You doing a fishless cycles, im surprised its living in with the amonia your adding... sorry I cant help you. I think your right and it hitched a ride from one of those items...

have to say i was quite suprised to see it living as well! it was right up against the glass or i wouldn't have seen it. makes me wonder if there are 100's more in there?

anybody else know if i should treat my tank?

The only problem is trying to cycle and treating at the same time could be an issue. Whatever kills them, may kill your good bacteria you have growing as well.... Im sure someone else will have a good suggestion on what to do... GL

The worms may very well be Planaria. I just discovered these myself this weekend, doing a fishless cycle.
Search google for planaria pics and see if they look familiar.

They apparently cause no threat to fish, but look disgusting.
You may find dozens if you stir up your substrate.

I will try to remove mine with a gravel vac at the end of the cycle... during the 90% water change.
Until then, stir things up before adding in your ammonia, and squirt it on the ones that are swimming around.

The only recommendation I found was to treat the water with aquarium salt, which I don't have at the moment.

i've googled planaria thanks, yes they did look like them. they don't sound as worrying as the fish flesh eating monsters i was imagining.

they are supposed to be a problem with overfed tanks. mine is empty (of fish) and so definitely isn't overfed. i'll just think of them as part of the ecosystem i am trying to establish and hope the glowlight tetras think they are tasty.

thanks for the info

These things are so gross your fish may be upset you didn't tidy up before bringing them home :D

I too imagined them as parasites, boring into the fishes bodies when I first saw them. :uhoh:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom