Wild caught?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cichlid.Keeper

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey everyone,
I wanted to know a little about wild caught fish like perch in an aquarium. Any thoughts are appreciated.
Also would it be possible to keep one with SA cichlids

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

my friend had a pet perch once. It's doable, but, they are rather despondent and I would much rather get a large cichlid or a bass. The bass will grow and live almost the same as the perch, but, the bass will be much smarter and may actually be trained. I don't know If it would be the best idea to mix the perch and the cichlids, you can try, but I feel as though they will rip up his fins until he gets bigger, and, when he gets bigger, he will tear them to shreds and eat them.

I've had some of the smaller Florida sunfish, and a small weird lizard fish. they would only eat live food tho.

I've had some of the smaller Florida sunfish, and a small weird lizard fish. they would only eat live food tho.

Wow, you have got to try some of the game fish from missouri, they are like pet dogs when you tame them and they could care less about what food they eat.

You shouldn't ever really mix them, there's allot of unknown factors such as diseases, aggression, food requirements, ect.

I would do bass personally if you want a native sunfish to keep. They are IME allot easier to pellet train than most others. Also they are very bold, mine always come up to the glass to greet me.

The only down side is they will eventually need a very large aquarium and eat allot!

Lol, I would go with perch and sunfish if you're going to do a "native" style tank. Sunfish, freshwater that is, are like the northern version of mid sized cichlids and are found in the same ponds and slow moving rivers as perch, pickerel, bass and bull head in my neck of the woods

Sent from my VS980 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You shouldn't ever really mix them, there's allot of unknown factors such as diseases, aggression, food requirements, ect.

I would do bass personally if you want a native sunfish to keep. They are IME allot easier to pellet train than most others. Also they are very bold, mine always come up to the glass to greet me.

The only down side is they will eventually need a very large aquarium and eat allot!

It doesnt hurt to be the first to try mixing them though, you never know, maybe they will mix perfectly.

Yea bass are awesome pets.

It doesnt hurt to be the first to try mixing them though, you never know, maybe they will mix perfectly.

Yea bass are awesome pets.

I don't believe my tank is big enough for bass. I have a 70 gallon

If your set on wc? Sunfish or pumpkinseed are gorgeous.. almost like a discus meets ram colors.. they eat anything too..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

A single fish would be good in there for awhile.

I only have a 55 and a 70. Lol. No more tanks in my house. Especially a 300 gallon

If your set on wc? Sunfish or pumpkinseed are gorgeous.. almost like a discus meets ram colors.. they eat anything too..

I say the pumkinseed is best colored, green sunfish eats the most, bluegill is the most placid, largemouth bass is very smart and playful as well as ferocious, and the smallmouth bass is a calmer version of the largemouth.

Aren't perch slow growing?

Sent from my VS980 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I dont have a ton of info about perch cause ive never kept one, but, knowing how well they reproduce and how good they are for fishing, I can only guess that they grow pretty quickly.

I say the pumkinseed is best colored, green sunfish eats the most, bluegill is the most placid, largemouth bass is very smart and playful as well as ferocious, and the smallmouth bass is a calmer version of the largemouth.

Smallmouth are not even close to calmer, have you ever hooked one? They go ballistic, they're eyes turn red too.. nut jobs.. no bass should be kept in an average home aquarium.

Smallmouth are not even close to calmer, have you ever hooked one? They go ballistic, they're eyes turn red too.. nut jobs.. no bass should be kept in an average home aquarium.

Wow! My family fishes a lot. Which is why I asked. They catch trout, bass, perch, sunfish, and catfish and they always want to add to my tank so I was just curious.

Like I said, I'm totally against this concept, if it's to be done sunfish are by far the most attractive fish on the list. Bass are to big and aggressive, they also school. Perch are cool, not as cool as sunny ' s though. Sunfish will eat anything too. You could keep some earthworms in the fridge as a treat. We used to catch them with chewed bubblegum on a shoestring.. no joke.m

Like I said, I'm totally against this concept, if it's to be done sunfish are by far the most attractive fish on the list. Bass are to big and aggressive, they also school. Perch are cool, not as cool as sunny ' s though. Sunfish will eat anything too. You could keep some earthworms in the fridge as a treat. We used to catch them with chewed bubblegum on a shoestring.. no joke.m

I'm probly not gonna do it lol but how big of a tank do perch or sunfish need

Back
Top Bottom