Wild caught?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sunfish are very aggressive, remind me a lot of SA cichlids

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

There's more options. Warmouth are great and work decently for a 55 or 75. They generally average around 8-10 inches fully grown so they stay much smaller than bass.

Unfortunately a warmouth will have some fights with my fish

Oh, sorry, was under the impression that this was going to be a native tank.

Sunfish are definitely a lot like cichlids, I always call them the north american version of cichilds (sorry texas cichlid).

Some smaller and less aggressive options would be dollar sunfish or orangespotted sunfish.

Smallmouth are not even close to calmer, have you ever hooked one? They go ballistic, they're eyes turn red too.. nut jobs.. no bass should be kept in an average home aquarium.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

In my experience, the smallmouth bass was always a clamer fish in the tank.

In my experience, the smallmouth bass was always a clamer fish in the tank.

I'm not talking in a tank.. they do not belong in "tanks"... poor thing was probably so depressed.. put Vin diesel in a jail cell and I'll bet he seems pretty "calm"...

Last edited:
I'm not talking in a tank.. they do not belong in "tanks"... poor thing was probably so depressed.. put Vin diesel in a jail cell and I'll bet he seems pretty "calm"...

I've kept native tanks with sunfish, bullhead and a musk turtle and they weren't depressed at all. I caught them in a river across the street from my house. I kept them for about 6 months in a 6'X 3'X 3' quarantine tank that I keep for my large display cichlids. I caught them while catch and release fishing in the fall and let them go the following spring... There was nothing peaceful about that tank, but they were far from suffering...

Sent from my VS980 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You should never release fish back into the wild after being in captivity even if it's a short. It can have some serious negative impacts on the wild populations.

You could make the same argument about most fish.

Sent from Peabody's rabbit hole.

Ofcourse jeta:) surely you can understand my issue with tanking sally's...

I've kept native tanks with sunfish, bullhead and a musk turtle and they weren't depressed at all. I caught them in a river across the street from my house. I kept them for about 6 months in a 6'X 3'X 3' quarantine tank that I keep for my large display cichlids. I caught them while catch and release fishing in the fall and let them go the following spring... There was nothing peaceful about that tank, but they were far from suffering...

That's all good and well, I take issue with bass, i know bass, i understand bass, i love bass, i kiss bass, bass

You should never release fish back into the wild after being in captivity even if it's a short. It can have some serious negative impacts on the wild populations.

+1000

With this logic, you could kiss basically every species in amphilophus, parachromis, cichla, and caquetaia goodbye from the pet trade. Just because they're from our neck of the woods, doesn't mean they are any different from any other fish. ;)

With this logic, you could kiss basically every species in amphilophus, parachromis, cichla, and caquetaia goodbye from the pet trade. Just because they're from our neck of the woods, doesn't mean they are any different from any other fish. ;)

Not familiar with that list, do they have the potential of topping out around 10-12lbs.? Do they roll in schools of up to 20+? Will they eat baby ducks?

Not familiar with that list, do they have the potential of topping out around 10-12lbs.? Do they roll in schools of up to 20+? Will they eat baby ducks?

Dovii, umbies, peacock bass, red devils, midas, jags, motas....yes....and largemouth don't normally stick in "schools", maybe a small shoal, but large predatory fish typically don't school, which is typically a behavior to evade predation.

Also people commonly keep fish larger than that, like arowana, rays, tigerfish (like vitattus that do move in group, and are quite large, and I have also seen people keep goliaths), most gar species, payara, pacu, wolf fish, etc

Dovii, umbies, peacock bass, red devils, midas, jags, motas....yes....and largemouth don't normally stick in "schools", maybe a small shoal, but large predatory fish typically don't school, which is typically a behavior to evade predation.

Also people commonly keep fish larger than that, like arowana, rays, tigerfish (like vitattus that do move in group, and are quite large, and I have also seen people keep goliaths), most gar species, payara, pacu, wolf fish, etc

Ok, you're right!
Edit- we were discussing small.mouth bass in a 75 gal tank..

Last edited:

......sure...only, Vin Diesel has a human intelect and needs....barely a good comparison....

He was calm in the sense that he wouldnt attack his tank mates or my fingers when I fed him and, as far as I can tell, any fish, as long as it has the basic survival needs (space, food, water, warmth, ect.) would be perfectly content in a spacious aquarium.

two names: Jaguar cichlid and Oscar Cichlid

I can tell, any fish, as long as it has the basic survival needs (space, food, water, warmth, ect.) would be perfectly content in a spacious aquarium.[/QUOTE]

I couldn't agree more! The tanks at bass pro shops are pretty awesome in my book!!

If I didn't have the training and experience I have from volunteering for rescue and rehabilitation I wouldn't have and I absolutely should have put in a side note on that. Much like I don't encourage those without training and experience taking on aquatic wildlife that they find injured or sick as potential pets I strongly discourage the release of any flora or fauna from a typical home aquarium as it usually goes hand in hand. Thanks for catching that for me.

If I didn't have the training and experience I have from volunteering for rescue and rehabilitation I wouldn't have and I absolutely should have put in a side note on that. Much like I don't encourage those without training and experience taking on aquatic wildlife that they find injured or sick as potential pets I strongly discourage the release of any flora or fauna from a typical home aquarium as it usually goes hand in hand. Thanks for catching that for me.

Whether the training and experience is there or not, it is still illegal in all of the United States to release ANY fish, wild caught or domestic back into the wild due to the impacts stated above. Also, unless you have written authorization from the group you work with AND your local department of fish and wildlife, fish and game, (whatever it may be called in your area) and environmental protection agency, and do these things from inside your own home, your in violation of a TON of local, state, and federal laws that you may or may not be aware. One law that is technically on the books (but many agencies don't waste the time to write a ticket for) is you can be fined for not knowing the laws. I'm probably one of the only folks you'll ever have the chance of coming across that has been subject to that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

Back
Top Bottom