Wild Oscars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rivers2k

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just picked up a baby wild oscar to go with my Tiger oscar. The patterns are amazing! I assume it will loose the patterns like other oscars as they grow. I was wondering what It will look like as a adult. Does anyone here have pics of there wild oscar?

I will post some pics of mine asap.

Wild caught or feral? Most true wild caught fish are very bland and boring looking, nothing compared to the tank bred species we see in petstores.

Wild caught or feral? Most true wild caught fish are very bland and boring looking, nothing compared to the tank bred species we see in petstores.

My LFS store told me the special ordered them for a customer and had them it took a while for them to find them. She said she has only seen wild caught one other time. They imported through a guy that specializes in these he imports them from South America. That is all the detail I know.

Here are the pics as you can see in the details they have much more stripes and swirls in the blotches than the standard tiger oscar. As adults will the get more bland and dull.

Attachments

• photo (19).jpg
    photo (19).jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 299
  • photo (20).JPG
    photo (20).JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 301
  • photo (21).JPG
    photo (21).JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 278
I wll get more pics when he is in the tank. this is the only one that had the reddish orange the others were all white and black but still cool looking.

This is what they typically look like as adults. Wild caught fish are not rare there is really no demand since they're boring looking when compared to what people see everyday. Jeff Rapps has them listed nearly all year. The majority of the ones I see labeled as wild are actually feral from the Florida water ways...big difference.

images

This is what they typically look like as adults. Wild caught fish are not rare there is really no demand since they're boring looking when compared to what people see everyday. Jeff Rapps has them listed nearly all year. The majority of the ones I see labeled as wild are actually feral from the Florida water ways...big difference.

images

Apparently these came from South America. I don't know where though. I don't really care about rarity but it is nice to have something that looks a little difference. I just think the patterns are really cool on the one I got. I saw that pic on google images and I see a big difference in different fish claiming to be wild that's why I was hoping to get a pic form someone that had one.

The majority of my fish are wild caught for breeding purposes and true behavior traits, so don't get me wrong I'm not knocking the fish as I agree with keeping fish that are not common. I don't currently have many fish that be bought at a petstore, some of mine only a few people in the country have.

Like most ocellatus what they look like now will be completely different as mature fish.

The picture I posted is a wild caught fish, while they are all different that's pretty accurate. Lots of duller colors like gray and greens.

Good luck I look forward to updated pictures...

Last edited:
The majority of my fish are wild caught for breeding purposes and true behavior traits, so don't get me wrong I'm not knocking the fish as I agree with keeping fish that are not common. I don't currently many fish that be bought at a petstore, some of mine only a few people in the country have.

Like most ocellatus what they look like now will be completely different as mature fish.

The picture I posted is a wild caught fish, while they are all different that's pretty accurate. Lots of duller colors like gray and greens.

Good luck I look forward to updated pictures...

I realize you weren't knocking it. I was just stating I don't care much about rarity. When I was single I was really into rare fish but since I have moved I am not around many fish people and my wife informed me everything I have is rare to the people around us lol, including my frontosa and peacocks :lol:

I will keep you posted on pics. I really don't care if get the orange it would be nice but its ok if it doesn't up until recently I thought oscars where kind of bla looking because they didnt have the colors of the other cichlids but recently something about them has just gotten me hooked. I kind of like the patterns and the personality kind of a friendly oaf.

Just looked up Jeff Rapps stuff he has some cool stuff and I wonder if that is where mine came from his address says NJ. There cant be that many guys specializing in SA/CA cichlids in NJ.

My LFS store told me the special ordered them for a customer and had them it took a while for them to find them. She said she has only seen wild caught one other time. They imported through a guy that specializes in these he imports them from South America. That is all the detail I know.

Here are the pics as you can see in the details they have much more stripes and swirls in the blotches than the standard tiger oscar. As adults will the get more bland and dull.

Nice pattern,, hopefully it will stay that way a while

here are more pics. The details of his pastern really don't come out in pics. May its because I am using an iphone. 1 is the wild oscar. 2 is the full tank its a grow out tank. I have a 75 waiting for them. 3 is my regular tiger oscar he is a cool looking guy to a I think. I have some baby fire mouths in with them so those are the other fish you are seeing.

Attachments

• photo (22).JPG
    photo (22).JPG
    97.2 KB · Views: 205
  • photo (23).JPG
    photo (23).JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 227
  • photo (24).JPG
    photo (24).JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 204
Talk about Irony. So my 3 year old wants to name it Oscar. Not because it is an Oscar but because the fish on shark tales is named Oscar LOL. I cant really have an Oscar named Oscar can I?

Here's what my wild caught oscar looks like now at 6 inches. As Hukit said there are feral and also you see the wild color captive bred around too. Once I came across this true wild caught guy I had to have him. Much more personality, more aggressive, and more active and curious than any tank/farm raised oscars I've had in the past. So I named him Chaos. Cleared out my 125 just for him and a school of 10 silver dollars. Yours has the typical oscar juvi color pattern which will turn as he gets older. A lot of cichlids get that pattern as juvi's.

Here he is as the juvi colors started to fade.

Also the adult color of any wild caught depends on the location area. The patterns and colors vary area to area. Mine was listed as collected in Amazon river basin, which isn't real specific. Once adult I'll try to match some colours with different regions to try to narrow it down if possible.

Also the adult color of any wild caught depends on the location area. The patterns and colors vary area to area. Mine was listed as collected in Amazon river basin, which isn't real specific. Once adult I'll try to match some colours with different regions to try to narrow it down if possible.

Awesome thanks for posting. Chaos looks really cool I hope mine turns out to look like yours. I love the black and greys with just the orange eye spot.

My Wild caught is already bolder and more personable than my Tiger Oscar. I have only had my other oscar for a week and a half but he is still hiding. My Wild caught is out in the open and come right up to the glass on the first night. He is a cool little guy.

I have a 75 waiting for them but I am thinking of doing a 125 with Firemouths.

That's a amazing looking fish and is a great example of what wild fish look like. I've kept ocellatus for nearly 20 years now but never had a WC one, and they're far better looking than any man-made color variation such as tigers and so forth.

Last edited:
That's a amazing looking fish and is a great example of what wild fish look like. I've kept ocellatus for nearly 20 years now but never had a WC one, and they're far better looking than any man-made color variation such as tigers and so forth.

I agree, I like the colour better than the man-made colours. Ive raised a few oscars over the years, having my first ones around 20 or so years ago as well and I've never had one with such vibrant personality and temperament. It's the hardest oscar I've had to break of jumping for food and I still don't trust him enough to look away for a second with the door open. He's already landed on the floor once when in the QT tank after jumping at my face during feeding. All my oscars have been hand fed with no problems, usually figure it out quick and come over and take the food and move on. Chaos viciously attacks my hand as soon as it breaks the water and gives me a bunch of good bites on the hand and fingers before he finds the food. I'm hoping he gets it soon before he's too big to want to let bite me all the time trying to train him. Doing water changes I usually plunge my hand in fast so he's not attacking it, but he just watches and will hover an inch from my hand keeping everything in check. He reminds me of a farm/tank raised oscar hopped up on caffeine and sugar. Lol. The way he looks at things is far more inquisitive, curious and intense and he seems more aware of everything. So that's what I've noticed about this fish compared to the other captive oscars I've had over the years, and that's the reason I decided to clear the tank for him. Sorry to ramble on but I've become quite fond of him lol.

Awesome thanks for posting. Chaos looks really cool I hope mine turns out to look like yours. I love the black and greys with just the orange eye spot.

My Wild caught is already bolder and more personable than my Tiger Oscar. I have only had my other oscar for a week and a half but he is still hiding. My Wild caught is out in the open and come right up to the glass on the first night. He is a cool little guy.

I have a 75 waiting for them but I am thinking of doing a 125 with Firemouths.

You should put the oscars in the 125 and firemouths in the 75. 75 is really only big enough for one oscar and you'll also have a better chance of them getting along in the bigger tank. I have had 2 oscars in my 125 before and the bio load is a lot to keep up with even in that size tank. I was doing 2-3 75% water changes a week in my 125 with 2 grown oscars in order to keep the nitrates under 20ppm.

Well he is now in the 75. He is one aggressive little bugger. I had him in with my Fire mouth fry. They are all about half his size so I thought they would be fine. And he was for a little while, then on Sunday I saw him tear into a Firemouth. He pined it to the ground like a dog and thrashed back and forth. I was really shocked there was no chasing or nipping of fins. He just pounced never saw a fish do that before. So he is now in with my JD, Salvini and Adult Firemouths. he is by far the smallest but he isn't hiding at all he is in the middle of the tank displaying to anyone who comes near. I think this litttle guy is going to be trouble.

Every time I think I have enough fish a thread like this comes along and makes me want another tank set up. Oscars never interested me until I saw the wild caught ones. Please keep this updated. They are all stunning.

Back
Top Bottom