Will Eggs lead to Aggression?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JAG8472

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This afternoon, I noticed small little clear "bubbles" on the top of a filter intake. I'm assuming it's unfertilized eggs. From which fish I don't know. What I do know is that the aggression level in my tank is after going up big time in the last few days.

The Harlequin Rasboras are even starting to take quick darts at each other but mostly its the silver tipped tetra's that are chasing everything else. I'm not sure if it is related to the recent discovery of eggs or the silver tipped tetra's bad habits have rubbed off. About two days ago, my Zebra had a battle wound on one side of him the next morning he was missing.

This is a relatively new hobby for me and I'm looking for a lot of information on almost every detail. Thanks in advance for any help.

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum...

It's possible, but it really depends on who laid them. see who is protecting them the most and those are most likely the parents. it was my understanding that tetras were egg "scatterers" and not egg layers, but i guess it can differ between different tetras species

what all is in the tank?

35 G - Fresh (80F) - Aqua-Tech 30-60 (x2) + Aqua-Tech 5-15
Lots of Plants and 3-4 Moss Balls
- Betta Fish
- Neon Tetra (x8) (3 lg + 5 sm)
- Glow Light Tetra (x3) (sm)
- Harlequin Rasboras (x7) (4 lg + 3 sm)
- Peppered Cory
- Albino Cory
- Otocinclus
- Flying Fox
- Pearl Danio (x2)
- Black Tetra (x2)
- Blood Fin Tetra (x4)
- Silver Tip Tetra (x3)
- Ghost Shrimp (was 4, now?)
- Small Snails (~12?)
- Zebra Snail (x2)

35 G - Fresh (80F) - Aqua-Tech 30-60 (x2) + Aqua-Tech 5-15
Lots of Plants and 3-4 Moss Balls
- Betta Fish
- Neon Tetra (x8) (3 lg + 5 sm)
- Glow Light Tetra (x3) (sm)
- Harlequin Rasboras (x7) (4 lg + 3 sm)
- Peppered Cory
- Albino Cory
- Otocinclus
- Flying Fox
- Pearl Danio (x2)
- Black Tetra (x2)
- Blood Fin Tetra (x4)
- Silver Tip Tetra (x3)
- Ghost Shrimp (was 4, now?)
- Small Snails (~12?)
- Zebra Snail (x2)

Without seeing a picture, my first thoughts would be that your betta blew a bubble nest. The other fish from your list don't do leave bubbles or eggs that float. A Betta blowing a nest means nothing if there are no mates to breed with so there's nothing more to do. In your case, it would mean that your Betta is "Happy". Another possibility would be that your snails may have laid a clutch of eggs. Again, a picture would help as they look nothing like a Betta nest. :brows:

My hunch is that your tank is a bit overcrowded which is why the aggression happened. (Too many fish for the central zone of the tank.) I would strongly advise not adding more fish to this collection until some have lived out their lives or you trade them in for other fish. ;)

Hope this helps...(y)

View attachment 116831

It's a little hard to see. It may be from the beta but, it isn't on top of the tank.

Okay, if it's not at the surface, it's not from the Betta ;) One thing eliminated (y)

Since you really can't see the eggs, I can only assume that they are snail eggs based on your fish selection. They should look like they are in somewhat of a gelatinous mass or casing. Fish eggs should have been eaten by your other fish by now.

Sorry I can't be more exact. :confused:

sounds like typical cory behavior to me, and in that case the only agression would be who gets to eat em the corys will be in on that fight to :):)

I'm thinking they are snail eggs, during the water change I noticed some of the same just above the lip of the tank. Let's hope they are. I need cheap food for my puffer fish lol.

Back
Top Bottom