Will these fish beg?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sillyfishies

Aquarium Advice Addict
My planned stock is
1 dwarf gourami
2 German blue rams
1 brittlenose pleco
5 panda corys
(unknown amount) blue lyretail killifish

Will any of these fish beg for food or swim to the top of the tank when I put my fingers in?

I'll say no to the pleco and corys..... with the others, it depends on how much time you spend bonding with your fish. Most of my species will come to me for hand feeding.

Okay thanks. I spend a lot of time just sitting watching the fish I have now. How many lyretail killifish could I fit in with those? I have a 27 gal

Your gourami may not appreciate lyretail killifish. They're tiny enough to get his interest in them as a food source.

These killifish get like 3 inches don't they? And dwarf gourami are about the same size aren't they? Don't know about German blue ram as I have not actually seen them in store.

Edit* theyre max size is 6 cm...... So are they a no no?

Edit Edit* wait isn't that 2.4 inches? So shouldn't it be fine?

1 dwarf gourami
2 German blue rams
1 brittlenose pleco
5 panda corys
3 blue lyretail killifish

So would this be okay as the blue lyretail killifish are 2.4 inches

The fish that beg the best are usually cichlids. Oscars, JD's, and GT's are very friendly! Most will beg and some will let you pet them!

My jewel cichlid is always coming up whenever I'm around, can feed him, when I have my hands in the tank for cleaning or when I'm hovering my gravel hes always swimming around my hands, he's very friendly, but I've always tried my best to avoid touching him as I thought I was bad for the fish to touch them too?

Its fine if you use 1 finger and you do it very gently. Just make sure to do it in moderation. I use to pet my JD about once a week.

Samzter said:
I've heard puffers are known to beg as well?

Mine are expert beggars. They stop whatever they are doing when I walk up to their tank and start following me at the glass. They definitely know their food cup, and if I sit it on the glass top while I'm defrosting frozen foods they hover underneath it.

Back
Top Bottom