worm casts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tanktop

Aquarium Advice Regular
i'm fishless cycling my first tank. i had some gravel from a lfs to kickstart things and have had several unwanted hitchhikers (hydra, 2 types snails, planaria, nematodes so far).
now i've seen 2 more and wondered if anyone knew what they were and whether i need to be concerned.
firstly i've noticed that the upper side of my bogwood has become covered in lots if 2 mm wide brown trails and i can see 1 mm wide white worms that come out of the end of the tubes and can completely withdraw into the casts or whatever they are. i'm concerned they are eating the wood. could they be bad for the fish (when i finally get some)? what are they?
secondly there are these 2-3mm sihiny white pear shaped organisms with antennae at the narrow end that move fast over the wood and can swim. i can't find them on an internet search. any ideas anyone? again, do i need to be concerned.
thanks in anticipation

Sounds a bit dodgy to me ! Like you want to start over, but give the driftwood some boiling water and find some fresh gravel (or boil that too).
I dont know there's a surefire way to get a head-start, other than if you run a small QT tank first to generate some 'uninfected' media.
At least ensure your water condition has the best possible start, these 'organisms' may not be harmful, but I wouldn't want to take the chance.

i've identified the second one, its an ostracod - a seed shrimp, so am happy to leave that one. they look cute, i'm going to invest in a magnifying glass.
i've had the tank fishless cycling for 5 weeks. the anubias and moss are attaching nicely, the other plants are growing well (apart from the vals, don't know what i'm doing there). the substrate is ecocomplete, so not cheap, so i really really don't want to tear it all down. i hope i can find something that will eat the wood worms. i wish i knew what they were!

btw the lfs gravel was only a small handfull which i put in the filter for a few days, rather than al the gravel i have.

Is it worth taking the driftwood out and soak in a cold bath so anything in it might look for somewhere warmer to live ?
You're obviously quite knowledgeable on micro-organisms, so their day's are numbered ! Can the lfs give you a clue since it appears to have come from them. Or if they don't know they had the problem, you could really do them a favour and perhaps get a credit for future stock :)

Not so knowledgeable with microorganisms,but a whizz with google! I've now seen the same brown lines on stones which makes me less inclined to think they're eating the wood. I don't want to heat it/ cool it/ take it out unless necessary as I have plants starting to root to it.

Back
Top Bottom