Worm ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clr_newbie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was a little suprised to find this worm like creature in my tank today. He looks to be about 1 to 2 inches long. Any ideas on the name would be great. I hope its not a pest because i no longer know where he is.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• img_6949_134.jpg
    img_6949_134.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 38
Thanks crazypants for the link. The worm seems to be gray toward the center of his body and taper into a red end towards the outside. It did not appear to have the fuzz on the outside like the fireworm in the link. Any other possibilities?

I agree it looks like a bristle worm. I have several in my tanks. They are good at eating fish waste.

The link durtbear provided definitely resembles the external anatomy. The coloring is not the same but I imagine bristleworms come in many coloring patterns. Thanks for the help all. I am going to ID it as a bristle worm unless someone else disagrees. Thanks all...

I vote for Bristleworm too. Fireworms look the same, but are rather rare, come mostly from the carribean I think, and have more tufts on the sides.

I agree, bristleworm. I consider them part of my clean up crew.

Can I blame my 22" monitor? lol Fine I can admit I was wrong. Now that I look at it closer, it does look like a bristleworm. The red body threw me off, and I thought the frills were just blurry slightly... My bristleworm in my tank does have red on it though. The bristleworm that i havent seen like a month... I wonder if he's alright. I should call him sometime...

Don't worry about being wrong, I am, quite often. I just write it up as a learning experience.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom