would this be over stocking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Senorjizzy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
this is my first post ever, just signed up today. ive been reading the forum for at least a week, and have decided to get my own 10g tank, since that about as big as i can have in my dorm on base. i have been to the LFS many times in the past two days getting everything set up, even got some free used filters from them and sqeezed out the goodness into the tank, and cut a portion off and put into my filter.

but on to my question, i currently have 1 neon blue dwarf gourami, 2 tiger barbs, and 2 green corys. i really would like 2 more barbs and 1 more corys, the smaller panda corys or 2 pygmy corys, would that be overstocking? ill post pics in a little.

Sorry but that would be too much in a 10g. It may not seem like it if your current fish are still small but the cory's and barbs will grow.

what about one pygmy cory? their bottom feeders, and the two barbs are mid- upper level swimmers, as well as the gourami, would that still be over crowded. i just want the most i can while still keeping my fish as happy as can be. any suggestions are welcome.

Those barbs get 3 inches across, and they will pester the other fish to death. You may want to reconsider them entirely. I looked into getting a school and boy I am glad I didn't. They are like 2 years on pixie sticks and I have a 29 gallon! Plus you need to keep a school of 5-10 otherwise they pick/play with other tankmates stressing them to death. I would do a large shoal of neons, black neons, glowlights, or other nano fish. That way you can have lots of little fish with spunk and something to watch with color.

what about one pygmy cory? their bottom feeders, and the two barbs are mid- upper level swimmers, as well as the gourami, would that still be over crowded. i just want the most i can while still keeping my fish as happy as can be. any suggestions are welcome.

They may have space to swim, but you also have to take your parameters into account, especially in a tank that small. Less water is harder to manage. :) You could add some snails, shrimp(if your barbs will allow it,) or dwarf crawfish. They're interesting additions and they keep your tank clean!

If you rehome the tiger barbs you would have alittle more wiggle room for options. If you did that you could do 3-5 "male" guppies, Endlers would be better but can be hard to find. Maybe 3 bright colored male platies. I don't have an issue with neons in a 10 gallon but many people think it's too small a tank so that would have to be a personal call on your part. You could do 6-8 neons BUT dwarf gouramis came sometimes have personality issues so would have to be watched for aggression. And what I would strongly suggest if you decide to rehome the barbs right before adding any new fish, put the gourami in a container with tank water, rearrange the tank, add the new fish, then put the gourami in. Right now the gourami views the tank as his, by removing him and rearranging the tank then readding him, he is essentially being put in a new tank where he has no territory which means his aggression level if any is greatly reduced. Harliquen Rasbora's are another good option for a 10g tank.

ive researched the barbs alot, and i am reconsidering seeing id the LFS will allow me to return them (he only told me the policy on the dead ones). cut if they accept them back, what sort of tetras would be recommended, and how many.

Senorjizzy said:
ive researched the barbs alot, and i am reconsidering seeing id the LFS will allow me to return them (he only told me the policy on the dead ones). cut if they accept them back, what sort of tetras would be recommended, and how many.

I would have to agree with rivercats. I think in a 10 gallon some guppies would be just fine. I would rehome the barbs.

You could do 6-8 tetras, such as neons, glowlight, possibly rummynose or cardinals. Or the same number of Rasbora's.

With one DG and 2 Cory's, 6-8 low bio-load neons or glowlight tetras would be fine.

I would stick with community shoaling types for a small tank like you have. Maybe a school of 4-6 tetras.

Anything else will simply outgrow it and be a high bioload.

You could make it more interesting by adding a few shrimp as these practically dont effect the tank like more fish and are very interesting to watch. And on the plus side, keep your tank cleaner!

Sometimes simple is always best!

Back
Top Bottom