Xenia gone wild! Come get some.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd thought it might be too cold, but I guess certain parts of the country wouldn't have a problem, huh?

Maybe NC and Texas? Anyone with an opinion, or better yet shipping instructions, pls share. I've never shipped before. Also should they be on rocks or not?

Double a bag, shoot some air in it like the LFS, wrap in stryrophoam, and box? Then Overnight ship? Is that it??

well when i used to ship my bettas i would fill it with pure oxygen but bettas and coral are to way different things. sound like that should work buy a 72 hour heat pack just to be sure. fill the space left over in the box with packaging penuts and you should be good to go. Ship it on a monday and tuesdays. overnight ship. maybe if its in the spring and fall 2nd air.

I think double bagged in a priority mail box would be fine. Maybe some peanuts or newspaper for insulation and to keep the bag from moving around. If you have some styrofoam, attach the rock to it and float the coral upside down. I've seen this done and was reminded recently of this method. Shippings not a big deal. I went to a lfs and asked to buy some fish bags, they gave me a handful of large and small ones free of charge. If you ship overnight, that's up to whoever is paying for shipping. Typically, overnight is gonna cost 25-30 bucks more than priority.

Fluff, I thought you might want to see your xenia's new home:

29galsalt-tankshots6s.jpg

29galsalt-tankshots13s.jpg

Very nice. It still looks a bit withdrawn to me. Was this taken right after it was added? It may take a few days to fully expand. It may also be that it's so far up in the tank. Having it that far up will limit it's growth. I've been told that's how to slow it as it doesn't ever grow downwards. I find this to be false but it does slow it down a good bit. I see the yellow polyps too in the lower right corner. lol Your tank looks awesome, nice job! (y)

Oh, here's my mess (tank), it came from.

On Friday, I'll attach some to small (2") rocks. Normally, I sell'm to the LFS after only 2 days after they attach to the rocks. I use toothpicks and rubber bands for the 2 days. Let's give these 7 days to attach VERY well since they may be a bit stressed during shipping.

The 7 days'll give me time to get my mailing act together and let ya'll know about shipping costs.

I've got both the elongata (brownish) and the umbellata/pom pom (slivery looking) xenia. Elongata free (shipping cost only), but I may have to charge for the pom pom. Ain't got as much of that.

Hey Ray, I may have to hook up with you and get some of the elongata. I had a small piece but it didn't thrive for me. It sounds like yours is super hardy. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom