Yellow shrimp are dying 1 by 1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ensano

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Molting issues are simple problems that can be easily fixed.

1) gH levels are too LOW to sustain shell hardening in the water thus shrimp cannot reform shell and dies during process. (normally you would see a full shell somewhere around and the dead shrimp you pull out is mushy/soft)

2) gH levels are too HIGH to allow shrimp to molt properly, shell usually gets stuck on the face/hands of the shrimp possibly suffocate or stress and starve the shrimp to death. ( you would see bits of shell stuck to the shrimp's hands and face, or erratic jumping around trying to get shell off.)

3) Cannibalism - when a shrimp molts it is most vulnerable at that time to injury/damage/attack from other shrimps or decor. If it is already weak and has a lack of hiding places it can get pestered to death by other tankmates, then get eaten.

4) No shell, gH levels are fine - shrimp still dying, could another problem with your water parameters.

If you are able to give me the correct measurements of pH, gH, TDS i can help you figure out what is wrong. BUT the measurements cannot be taken from test strips, cause we all know that test strips are not 100% accurate once opened for a period of time.

hope it helps
:)
shrimp fever

Pulled the above post from another thread.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f129/yellow-shrimp-dying-off-one-by-one-202247.html

I'm having the same problem. I'm noticing those "ghost" shells all over but finding dead bodies a day or so later. After reading your post I'm thinking that it's low gh/kh.

I have the API test and with the gh it was yellow after 1 drop and the kh was after 2 drops. I'm don't know how I should be interpreting those numbers but common sense makes me think that that's low.

Last edited by a moderator:
yellow shrimp dying off one-by-one

...I'm noticing those "ghost" shells all over but finding dead bodies a day or so later. After reading your post I'm thinking that it's low gh/kh.

I have the API test and with the gh it was yellow after 1 drop and the kh was after 2 drops. I'm don't know how I should be interpreting those numbers but common sense makes me think that that's low.

Hey Ensano,

The gh you have to add the drops one by one until it turns yellow to green.

Kh is also the same, you have to add drops one by one until it turns yellow from blue.

So, I do not think that your test was properly done. You will need to redo it!

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom