Yellow Tang with bumps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bossratdog

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've got a yellow tang that we've had for about a week and a half. Several days ago we noticed a white spot hanging off of the tip of his tail and now he looks to have bumps under his skin - almost acne-like. He was aclimated over the course of 1.5-2hrs, floating his bag in our tank adding a shot glass of tank water every 10 min. He's active and eating well. He eats seaweed (1in strip daily) and mysis shrimp daily and picks at the life rock. Water parameters are good (amonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 0, PH 8.2). I am do for a water change, will be doing tomorrow.

Tank is approximately 6mo old, 55gal. Tank mates are: clown, yellow tail damsel, diamond watch goby, cleaner shrimp, BTA
Plenty of live rock and sand
Using purple up every other day.
Fluval 305 filtration with a 10gal sump
Coralife 125 protein skimmer
2 maxi jet 1200
Tank temp 79-80 degrees.
Any idea what this is or could be causing it? Should we quarantine the fish?

Please Help!

Ps... Newbie aquarists at work :fish2:

Last edited:
It might be cysts front marine ich. I'm not sire though

The white spec on the tail is attached all of the other bumps are completely under the skin they are hard to photo.

ForumRunner_20120101_091645.jpg

I agree the stress lowers the immune system subsequetly resulting in things like marine ich. I have a 55g and want a tang bit am not doing it

I always point people towards dwarf angels, it's a lot safer option for a similar fish. Flame angels, bicolour angels, coral beauties, all better options in 55's IMO.

Tank needs to be 125. Ick doesnt just APPEAR though, it needs to be introduced. The reasons tangs are such "ick magnets" is because they get VERY stressed which lowers immune system, so ick that is already there will launch on them.
If it is ick, read these links. Melosu always posts these, and are amazing. This is if it is ick.

An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure: A Quarantine Tank for Everything by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part I by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part II by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

Back
Top Bottom