Zebra Loach behavior?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

current516

Aquarium Advice Activist
The only fish I have so far in my 60 gallon are 2 small zebra loaches. They are cool fish! I just got them a couple of days ago. But they spend most of their time swimming together, up and down, in the corners/side of my tank. I saw clown loaches at my LFS displaying similar behavior.

Does anyone know why they do this?
Is this because they haven't settled into my tank?
And could it mean that they are stressed from the move?

I would think it was that they didn't have any hidey holes. Do you have plenty of rocks/caves/tubes for them to hide in?

Seems that all my fish have done that when I first get them.

A. They are probably finding the boundaries of the aquarium.
B. They are probably schooling with their reflections.

current516 said:
But they spend most of their time swimming together, up and down, in the corners/side of my tank.

When I go over somebody's house for the first time, I usually do the same thing for the first 15 minutes or so until I feel settled in. I've gotten some strange looks, but nobody has ever told me to stop it, so I'm cool with it.

What you are describing is known as "the loachy dance" in many loach circles. Generally, it is said that many species of loaches do this when:

A) They are moved somewhere new.
B) Their environment changes somehow.
C) They are disturbed/agitated/affected for some other reason.
D) They feel like dancing.

Mine generally do it when they're hungry. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but if you don't have enough places for them to hide, or there's something else that might be long-term disturbing to them, take it as a loach-request that this be remedied. Otherwise, enjoy the loachy dance. :D

Back
Top Bottom