Zer0's 17.3G Shallow Rimless Cube

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What are you building the tank out of? Acrylic or glass? From what i've heard, acrylic doesn't attach well to glass at all. I've only attached acrylic baffles to my glass sump..

lol i still read through that thread and see the massive amounts of silicone you used. if i get a sump i'll definitely go pre-made

ZerO I want to make it out of glass. I have heard that too. But i see all off these Starphire glass aquariums with black back panels i just assumed it was acrylic. I am going for something similar to yours but about 24"x24"x18", with an overflow and sump. I want to make most it all my self; the tank, the sump, the stand, and now that I know how to do LEDs the lights too. But i have never tried gluing or drilling glass.

look up advanced acrylics, they probably have a tank in those dimensions thats drilled and everything.

but if you really want glass that starphire stuff is expensive, and i'm pretty sure the back is just painted that way

Yeah i really want to build it myself, it would be a fun porject. I did some math and I found a place that sells Starphire for $14 a square foot, the total will be around 144 for all the glass, I was probably going to have them drill it and pay a little extra, Im just not too sure where to place the holes.

Yeah, but i built that fuge for 30$, including the acrylic and the tank itself, so i saved myself around 70$ considering pre-made sumps are not cheap at all.. even the smaller ones. But still, yeah, i used a ton of it because i had no clue what i was doing haha.

Badfish, i would go glass if you can. Only reason i went with acrylic is because AdvancedAcrylics had the tank with the exact dimensions i wanted, for a great price. Not to mention the guy knocked like 60 bucks off the asking price so it was a great deal for me. My next upgrade will absolutely be glass. Not going with acrylic anymore. It's nice and all and really clear, but i haven't even started up the tank yet and there's a decent scratch right on the front panel. Not even sure how it got there..

144$ is an amazing price for all the glass you need cut to your dimensions. Every place i went they were charging me upwards of around $400, some places $600, and all i wanted cut was regular non-tempered glass, and 4 pieces 14x10 and one piece 14x14.. How ridiculous are those prices for some small pieces of glass? I was utterly disgusted.

My next tank is going to be 1/4" thick glass, with the dimensions of 26 x 18 x 12 or 13. Custom made and i'm doing everything myself. Plus, it's going to have an external overflow built in to it. I know i haven't started this tank yet, but can't a guy dream? :p

Last edited:
Beep beep ribbey ribbey? Really? I think your abusing the power to change your title ;) jk

My next tank is going to be 1/4" thick glass, with the dimensions of 26 x 18 x 12 or 13. Custom made and i'm doing everything myself. Plus, it's going to have an external overflow built in to it. I know i haven't started this tank yet, but can't a guy dream? :p

It's going to be rimless? Sweet. Make sure you do a build thread! Corey and I can look at it together. :lol:

Beep beep ribbey ribbey? Really? I think your abusing the power to change your title ;) jk

Haha it's from 30Rock. I love that show. :D

It's going to be rimless? Sweet. Make sure you do a build thread! Corey and I can look at it together. :lol:

It will most definitely be rimless. And i absolutely will create a build thread once it gets started. I love AA and I love build threads!

Same here, hopefully I'll have my build started the middle of next month, it's going to be a long one

Well, whatever the case, AA and I hope you start a build thread so we can all follow your progress! We love build threads here at AA!

Meh.. Soon! Nothing to update right now.. ;) I'll see if i can't get a couple pictures of the scape. I added some things and chopped down a couple pieces. It all seems to fit in nicely now. We'll see.

Interesting enough. lol. But i have nothing to take pictures of... Nothing has changed. :(

i know this is random but i used to LOVE fosters home for imaginary friends! loll

So, i was going back and forth between selling this acrylic setup for a pretty penny and then building myself a nice glass tank.. but i decided against it because i really just want to get a tank up and running.. I've been building up so many of these tanks and then just pawning them off for more money to build more tanks and i'm tired of it, and i long for the salty goodness of saltwater.. And upkeep of the tank itself. So yeah, i'm sticking with this tank since it's almost ready to set up and it's the best one i've ever made actually. Aside from a few minor mess ups with the stand that can hardly even be seen, this setup is flawless.

Oh yah and.. New scape. :D

Pictures soon. I took a real minimalistic approach this time around because i'm not really looking to pack my tank full of coral. Just a couple species of nice zoanthids and then a couple species of my favorite SPS. That's all. Oh and a duncan too. :) Maybe some other cool LPS that don't grow too fast. Who knows. Still haven't decided on what fish i want to keep yet, but i REALLY want to keep a starry blenny, but i just don't know if i have enough rock in there to keep one happy. We shall see what the consensus is from the council.

Stay tuned.

Back
Top Bottom