Zero GH affecting cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JaredShope1

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have had my tank way longer than my girlfriend, heck, twice as long and I STILL get ammonia (slight, 0.25-0.5) readings, with zero nitrites and nitrates. All my water perimeters are good except how my GH is 0. Do bacteria need some GH to grow? And if so, how to I rise the GH?

Hello Jar...

If you're planning to keep fish from the local pet store, you don't need to worry about the water chemistry. Just follow a sound water changing routine. No water testing is needed. I just set up a new tank and put in the heater, sponge filter, gravel and some floating plants and let everything run for a few days. I added the fish I wanted and just fed them a little every day or two and removed and replaced one-third of the tank water every three days for a couple of weeks. Then, I added just a few more fish and started changing out half the water weekly. The tank's been running since the summer and the fish are doing great. I have some cool water tropicals and some Comets in the tank and everything is thriving in the pure water conditions.

B

Back
Top Bottom