Ziggy953's 150 Build errrr....120 Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know a guy on another forum who took a tiny fly fishing hook with no barb, baited it with a mysis and caught the fish. Might be worth a shot. Better than ripping the tank apart.

I know a guy on another forum who took a tiny fly fishing hook with no barb, baited it with a mysis and caught the fish. Might be worth a shot. Better than ripping the tank apart.

That is an awesome idea! I may have to give that a shot...course I'll catch every other fish in the tank first lol.

My LFS had one of those fish traps for rent and i have used it a couple times. Put it by the fishes usual stomping grounds and wait a while. It took me a long time with one of the fish but it would probably take a lot less time then taking apart your tank. Plus i was able to watch tv while i waited. I would give it a shot before moving rocks around and all that.

You should call up your LFS and ask if they rent them out like mine. They usually keep them in the back or under the counter so you may not have seen it before.

Well....Some decisions have to be made. I have to catch this fish that is killing my corals. I'm not happy with how my tank looks, and I can't decide if I want to scrap the whole thing and just downgrade to the 24g cube only.

I've pretty much decided that I don't like the look of my rock and will be taking most of it out and re-aquascaping. I guess in the process I can catch the bad fish and send him off to live at his new home.

I really haven't been happy with this tank since I set it up. I guess a lot of that has to do with all the issues I went through getting to this point. Bad vibes are not a good thing in this hobby. I'm going to rehash some ideas and see where they lead. Not sure right now what the fate of the 120 will be. Time will tell.

Allen, I know it is your tank (and family) but.....considering all you have been through and the compliments that everyone ,including myself, have given you on the beauty of your tank. Work it out. You will again enjoy the BEAUTY that you have created. Good Luck with it!!!!!!!

Barry

Allen, I know it is your tank (and family) but.....considering all you have been through and the compliments that everyone ,including myself, have given you on the beauty of your tank. Work it out. You will again enjoy the BEAUTY that you have created. Good Luck with it!!!!!!!

Barry

Good points and I appreciate the input.

Allen...how long did it take to get your 72g bow where you liked it?

Also a good point however I did completely change the look of the 72 several months in.

I really think I'm going to have to redo things in this tank. I have to get that Flame Angel out. I may as well change things around a bit in the process. I've done some reading and listening to a few folks that have amazing tanks and some of their tips and ideas are starting to rub off on me. Presentation. Right now my tank is a pile of rock with corals just stuck here and there. I have some ideas. First I have to get that flame out, it is killing corals and that isn't going to work for me.

Hi Ziggy,

Great post! I read the entire thing and I am so sorry that you had to go through all those tank changes! But you have given me great inspiration to get my salt water tank up and running!

I have past experience in running freshwater tanks but very little on saltwater, and I just obtained a 110 gallon tank that I want to make it a saltwater tank. I have a question for you. When you were setting up the original 150 gallon tank, you drilled holes in the back glass for the plumbing for a sump, but when you had to redo the other 120's, it doesn't look like you drilled any holes for it, why is that? Do you still have a closed loop system?

The reason i'm asking because I want to setup a sump system for my 110 and im basically going to follow your footsteps in setting the tank up. (yes your my mentor) and I don't really want to drill holes in the back of my tank and if your getting the same results without doing it, that is great!

~Edward

Hi Ziggy,

Great post! I read the entire thing and I am so sorry that you had to go through all those tank changes! But you have given me great inspiration to get my salt water tank up and running!

I have past experience in running freshwater tanks but very little on saltwater, and I just obtained a 110 gallon tank that I want to make it a saltwater tank. I have a question for you. When you were setting up the original 150 gallon tank, you drilled holes in the back glass for the plumbing for a sump, but when you had to redo the other 120's, it doesn't look like you drilled any holes for it, why is that? Do you still have a closed loop system?

The reason i'm asking because I want to setup a sump system for my 110 and im basically going to follow your footsteps in setting the tank up. (yes your my mentor) and I don't really want to drill holes in the back of my tank and if your getting the same results without doing it, that is great!

~Edward

Edward, you inspire me just from having read all that, no seriously thanks for taking the time. Learn from my mistakes!

I drilled the 150 to avoid needing lots of powerheads for flow. At the time my reef was happy and safe in the 72g tank so there was no rush. When the 150 cracked I didnt have time to drill and set up all that plumbing again. I wish now that I had drilled for a closed loop.

My tank is not reef ready and that doesnt bother me too much, not having the closed loop does.

If you are not scared of doing it I suggest drilling for a closed loop. You will be glad you did. Just make sure you put shut-off valves on all three holes. You never know when you may need to work on the plumbing or replace the pump.

Very good info there Ziggy. I really wish I had unplugged those in my system and had used them....big, BIG mistake on my part. Take Ziggy's advice!!!!

Also a good point however I did completely change the look of the 72 several months in.

I really think I'm going to have to redo things in this tank. I have to get that Flame Angel out. I may as well change things around a bit in the process. I've done some reading and listening to a few folks that have amazing tanks and some of their tips and ideas are starting to rub off on me. Presentation. Right now my tank is a pile of rock with corals just stuck here and there. I have some ideas. First I have to get that flame out, it is killing corals and that isn't going to work for me.

Good to hear your thinking of redoing rather than tearing down!

In my eyes this hobby is "Living Art" in the way that no two tanks are the same as with any of the most famous paintings.

Hope you get things sorted to your liking.

Cheers

Good to hear your thinking of redoing rather than tearing down!

In my eyes this hobby is "Living Art" in the way that no two tanks are the same as with any of the most famous paintings.

Hope you get things sorted to your liking.

Cheers

I don't want to take it down and downsize to the 24g I like having a larger tank it gives me more options for fish and corals. I'll get things looking the way I want and right now is the time to do it as all my corals are small.

I totally agree that this hobby is living art! The only problem I'm having is I'm my own worst critic, especially when it comes to "art" so if I'm not happy with how things look I'm going to change things. I have dozens of unfinished paintings for the same reason.

Very good info there Ziggy. I really wish I had unplugged those in my system and had used them....big, BIG mistake on my part. Take Ziggy's advice!!!!

I am so tempted to drill this tank when I take everything out to catch that dang flame angel. The thought has crossed my mind several times. It's either that or drop $800 for 2 Vortech MP40Ws. UGH!!

I hope my question didn't cause you to think about drilling holes in your tank. I have a friend of mine who I think can help me in drilling the three holes in my tank so I won't have to get too nervous about doing it. I'll let you know what happens.

Edward

I have been thinking about drilling it since the day I set it up, or rather regretting that I didn't drill it when I had the chance. I've drilled tanks before and it's not too bad as long as you have a good bit.

Ziggy,

I have another question for you.. If my tank's dimensions are:
48" L X 18" W X 28 5/8" H

How many 30lb bags of aragonite sand do you think i'll need. Again it's a 110 gal tank.

~Edward

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom