Ziggy's 40b Planted Journey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh that tank will bounce back better than ever.
Hopefully he won't post a pic of freshly pulled plants sitting in the trash bin. Now that would be mean. We just don't ask what happens to them.
What happens at Ziggys....

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Oh that tank will bounce back better than ever.
Hopefully he won't post a pic of freshly pulled plants sitting in the trash bin. Now that would be mean. We just don't ask what happens to them.
What happens at Ziggys....

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

....stays at Ziggy's....

Just wanted to chime in...point and whistle. Look out Takaski Amano! That tank is just about the most amazing thing I've ever seen. I didn't have time to read all 64 pages, but I think you said you either had, or have reef tanks. How do you like the transition? Do you prefer one above the other?

Just wanted to chime in...point and whistle. Look out Takaski Amano! That tank is just about the most amazing thing I've ever seen. I didn't have time to read all 64 pages, but I think you said you either had, or have reef tanks. How do you like the transition? Do you prefer one above the other?

I have had Reef tanks in the past. Previously the 40b was a Reef tank. If you search for me in the SW section you will find the thread about the 40b Reef.

I am up in the air on which I prefer. I like the challenge of keeping a system balanced more than for the fish. For the reef I loved seeing the coral grow and deepen in color. With the plants I like seeing the same thing. I am much more interested in the layout of the tank than the fish.

Well I got home from Vegas and the tanks had grown a good bit. Things look pretty good for the most part.

xim2B38.jpg

TYifWJ8.jpg

r0ssSJH.jpg

Okay yeah, I was pretty interested to see how you fared in the SW world. I've seriously never seen anything so beautiful in my life. If I die and come back as a fish I want to live in one of your tanks. This was the first page I came across...
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f11/ziggys-40b-rebuild-2-0-a-320968.html
You have a real gift.

Wow...thank you! SW is my first passion in this hobby for sure but I wanted to give the FW Planted tanks a good try and see what happened.

Made some drastic changes to the tank this weekend..

599k6lI.jpg

ErM09lD.jpg

8XvPgh1.jpg

Or5JNVa.jpg

RydHwnC.jpg

fXcCgo6.jpg

SfWREpY.jpg

I will be planting today and probably do some more cleaning up of the remaining plants. I also added a group of 8 Ember Tetras to the tank along with the 6 recently added Endlers. There is some color and life in the tank now.

Enjoyed the progression pics.

See the nice new red color, and maybe if you are into increasing reds look for the red moss, junglefowl sells it and it is sure pretty.

Hey Ziggy, what's your experience with buying plants? Have you ever ordered plants and gotten really unhealthy plants? Or maybe half will be great and the other half will be practically dead? Just curious.

Hey Ziggy, what's your experience with buying plants? Have you ever ordered plants and gotten really unhealthy plants? Or maybe half will be great and the other half will be practically dead? Just curious.

I guess I am really lucky in that all the plants I have ever ordered online have come in looking amazing. I am rather picky about what I order and where I order from. I don't mind spending more to get better. Plants that I order (other than moss) have always been tissue cultures. The plants I get from my LFS I hand pick so I can see what they look like before committing to them. They of course have been in thanks so I run the risk of bringing in snails and other things. I have a lot of pond snails in the 40 and 54 as a result. I also have a couple unwanted types of algae (mainly from the moss I ordered).

Good color choice adding the reds. Looks like it is progressing nicely!

How about a purplish, or bluish, redish or blackish bucephalandra? I have recently started looking more closely at these plants and wow are there lots of amazing options. Most all colors, and so crazy how many leaf shapes are available. Kind of mind blowing really.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom