36 gallon bow front setup question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry to say Not many but again depends on what cichlids your thinking of. Malawi setup could house around 10-15 but have to be the species dont grow that big.

Love_MyFish said:
Why is that? from what I read they need to be stocked on the high side and the tank is 3.5 foot long

Depending on the type of cichlid they can end up growing between 5-8" + which would be to big for a tank that is only 3-3.5' long. 4' long and 55 gallons would be the smallest I'd go for any African that's not the shelldwellers. Also the smaller the tank the faster the water parameters can go south, even with good filtration. I'm sure Hukit and the other experts will be chiming in too shortly.

Why is that? from what I read they need to be stocked on the high side and the tank is 3.5 foot long

I don't recommend any mbuna in a tank that small due to aggression and water quality issues, these fish require a certain amount of territory. The second thing part being water quality,by the time you add substrate and rocks your around 30g of water but if your going to make a attempt at keeping mbuna in a smaller tank regardless a few rules must be followed to even have chance of success, first only one species and second they must be dwarf mbuna, and third the correct stocking ratio with 1m to 5-6f. So your final stocking numbers should be no more than 7 fish, even with those guidelines they is still a chance for failure if you get the male/female ratio wrong or a aggressive male. There are a alot of dwarf mbuna but a few of my favorites are Saulosi, Cynotilapia Afra Cobue, and Polits...males can be a terror though. These are the only fish I'd recommend if you try, but your not going to walk into every LFS and find Cobue's or Saulosi, so make some calls ahead and order online.

But there are alot of Tangs that could be kept like the shell dwellers mentioned above or a pair of Julie's would be very cool as well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom