50 gal cichlid build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jason7894561230

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey all!

So im super excited for this tank to come to fruition. I have never kept malawi cichlids before and thats what is going into this tank. So far im thinking either Electric yellows, Electric blues or Hongi but if there are some other malawi that would be suitable for a 50 please shout them out!
Also if these fish arent suitable for this tank then also please tell me. Now the tank dimemsions are 36x20x17 since im in australia our tanks are weird sizes haha.
I was also wondering if a few swords and java ferns and vals would survive the cichlids? Im planing to pick up slate or just use the rocks ive got for their environment.
Pictures to come very soon.

Jason

Hey Jason! Can't wait to see how your new tank's going to look like :) :popcorn:

Thanks Roy!
We have had a minor set back. The tank stand i bought had a scratch so i took it back for a new one and now its good. Pictures to come now as we assemble the tank stand!

I'm now looking at the demisoni but have found some contradicting info. Some articles are saying the males get to 3" and others say the males get to 5". So a real size would be nice also some places have said to crowed the tank with them to reduce aggression? But I'm confused... So how many for a 50?

Hi Jason,

First off, congrats on the new tank!

Electric yellows, or Yellow labs, are great little cichlids. They are pretty mild tempered compared to most Mbuna and are very pretty fish! I did my 55g with 5 Labs and 15 Demasoni. Make sure to get a larger number of fish when they are young than you plan on keeping for the long run. You're going to have deaths, re-homes, etc.

With my tank...about 4 months in the Demasoni's started killing each other off. Probably due to the fact that it was hard to sex them and get the appropriate sexing (1m/4f).

Since then, I have been adding many other different cichlids. I've had much more luck with a mostly-male assorted African tank. By assorted, I mean different types / looks of 'similiar' cichlids. This is a win-win for me because I love the different fish that I have.

Rough list: (being upgraded to 90g this summer before they are full grown)

1 Venustus
1 Fuelleborni
1 albino zebra
1 blue cobalt
1 kenyii
2 acei
2 afra's
5 demasoni
5 labs
1 gt severum
1 bn pleco

They are all middle aged (2.5 - 5") and don't really have any major problems. My male Kenyii is nearly an inch bigger than every other fish. He patrols the tank and breaks up any sort of fights and literally just goes back to his business. You will always have some aggression, because you're picking an aggressive fish species to have, but most of the time the fish just decide to relax (in my experience, with MY fish).

Anyway... you're going to get a lot of information. A lot of do's and don't from people. You'll have to remember that it's your fish tank and you can decide what you'd like to try and what not to try. As long as you watch your tank and aren't hesitant to make changes due to the fish, you typically can stock as you please. (QT tanks are a must-have in my opinion) There's definitely some major rules to follow in fish-keeping, but with cichlids there's so many different types and so many different attitudes. Sometimes you'll get a mellow fish, sometimes you won't. Recently I put a Armored Bichir in with my EB Jack Dempsey after losing my Senegal Bichir I had in with her. My EB would not leave the new Bichir alone, she hated it. I took the Armored back to my LFS and exchanged for a very similar Senegal to the one that I had lost. The EB now just leaves the Senegal alone completely. Fish have personalities and attitudes, it's strange to see what some fish will accept and others will not. You'd think 'oh it's just another bichir, they look almost the same except for the armored is darker!' but no, she could tell he was new and different and hated him, but accepted the Senegal.

With my tank, I have lace rock in the center. Not many caves, just kinda layed out around the center. The fish don't really have major caves to protect and hold for their own. Most of the aggression I've seen is over territory, but it's hard to build a territory for them without major caves / structures to take over. By overstocking a cichlid tank you can majorly reduce the aggression / losses in the tank. Just remember to get very good filtration if you do this method.

Good luck reading this wall of text, ;) . Keep us updated on your tank!

Hey thanks a lot of that really gave me sometihng to think about! I have decided on what im going to put in there. Im going to go with Yellow labs and Demisoni.
The stand is still giving me grief, the doors are just not going on right! So ill put the tank on fill it up and get it cycing and let me poppy fix it haha. Pictures when the tank is ready after school (sorry about the pics, im pretty lazy)

Here is the stand building :D
img_1774005_0_5baf56eb8f4ee2f87157d5cfa1d7908e.jpg

img_1774005_1_3bdf86ed438f85e7d54c4240b43018da.jpg

img_1774005_2_66c8eee63456b50e2121507ec79900a6.jpg

img_1774005_3_d488bb9993804c62dcc54beebc255d1b.jpg

Me doing some of the work haha
img_1774005_4_78f8df8d6a0f49e841ae26b6dc94922e.jpg

Yes i was in my PJs
This is the tank stand finished
img_1774005_5_2f736fa6aaba448d088825c963f449e6.jpg

Last edited:
Back