50gal stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i would go with at least 4 labs..3 of which being of the female persuasion...

also at least 2 females zebras and peacocks per male...

you will have to chose your plants carefully... most mbuna are herbivores...

java fern, vals and anubis seam to do ok with mbuna...

THIS should help you with stocking...

i my 45 gallon i currently have

2 Red Empress Cichlids: Protomelas taeniolatus
4 Yellow Labs: Labidochromis caeruleus
3 Cobalt Blue Zebra: Maylandia callainos
1 Featherfin Syno: Synodontis eupterus

and i plan to get soon
3 Snow White Socolofi:pseudotropheus socolofi "Albino"

I am not sure I'd keep the Red Zebras with the Labs and Peacocks. Zebras can be really nasty and Peacocks and Labs are not as aggressive. You'd have to go with larger groups of Peacocks and Labs with the Zebras to hopefully cut down on aggression. If you went with a red colored peacock, like German Reds (A. stuartgranti), then you could go with maybe a less aggressive Mbuna of another color (trying to give you some contrast). Cynotilapia afra Cobue stay small and are a bit more aggressive than labs and peacocks, but would work in that size tank. They aren't too nasty like the zebras can be. They are gorgeous fish as well (see my avatar for a male).

So you could do something like:
5 Labs (1m/4f)
5 Peacocks (I'd go with something that stays around 5 inches or less) (1m/4f)
4 Afra Cobue (1m/3f)

That doesn't sound like alot, but the labs and peacocks will reach around 5 inches (depending on what type of p's you get) and the cobue will get 4 inches. So you will be pretty much stocked after that. :)

JDogg...that is alot of fish for a 45g tank...any plans on upgrading? All of those will hit around 5-6 inches.

those afra cobue are amazing!!! are they very common??

Can i have 3 peacocks (1m, 2f)
I dont really like labs that much, so can i have 3 of them too (1m, 2f)
If i can find the afra cobue then i will get probably 5 of those

why so many females?? i thought that cichlids mate and mate for life then are very agressive to the ones that are not in mated pairs

WaterPond said:

Can i have 3 peacocks (1m, 2f)
I dont really like labs that much, so can i have 3 of them too (1m, 2f)
If i can find the afra cobue then i will get probably 5 of those

why so many females?? i thought that cichlids mate and mate for life then are very agressive to the ones that are not in mated pairs
most african are Harem Breeders... polygamous :D

JDogg...that is alot of fish for a 45g tank...any plans on upgrading? All of those will hit around 5-6 inches.
the Empress will probaly get a new home..they are all juvies right now...

yes you can do 1m to 2 f's, but jdogg is right they are harem breeders and chances are the girls at that ratio will get tired out..on the other hand, it could be fine, alot of people only keep pairs..
be aware that the peacocks and cobue have brown and drab females, are you sure your not after something with a bit more colour?
Out of interest, with the plants and slate, how are you planning to moderate and buffer the water?

Also be aware that most mbuna are omnivorous, not entirely herbivorous, however their diet DOES depends more on the vegetable matter side. They are also rock dwellers, and tend to scavange for small fish and crustaceans amongst the rocks, plants and algae. You will find they don't eat the plants so much, but rather uproot them at any chance they can get.

I have to disagree, with a good maintenance schedule he could almost double that (Barr the emporess)

They aren't common in most LFS. I bought mine off Aquabid....they are tank raised.

be aware that the peacocks and cobue have brown and drab females, are you sure your not after something with a bit more colour?
Actually my Cobue females are not that drab. They are a purplish-brown color, but have some irridescent blue around their face. My peacocks are just brown though. Most more colorful Mbuna are more aggressive, or so I found when researching my tank. There may be a few that are colorful and not as aggressive, but usually they aren't common either.

I have to disagree, with a good maintenance schedule he could almost double that (Barr the emporess)
I'm assuming the tank is only 3ft...my concern is that these fish will get 5 inches and aggressive....which will probably be elevated in a smaller tank. But, to each his own...its not my tank. :)

WP,
I'm with JustOneMore20, what did happen?

Actually my Cobue females are not that drab. They are a purplish-brown color, but have some irridescent blue around their face.

Yea so are mine, but as opposed to the colouring and patterns of the males, they are drab.

I'm assuming the tank is only 3ft...my concern is that these fish will get 5 inches and aggressive....which will probably be elevated in a smaller tank.

I assumed the same. Though it's much like the overstocking to reduce aggression theory. Which IME works very well provided you can keep up with maintenance.
But your right, each to their own i guess.

Back
Top Bottom