55 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishyfanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
It's finally hapenning. The 55 gal tank that has been in the developing stage for the past 7 months is finally setup. I had a few complications in the process today. It started raining as I was cleaning the sand outside so I didn't get to clean it as long as I wanted. But I don't see any clouding from it. When I moved the piece of driftwood, I hit the heater and it broke. I had no idea it was plugged in until I grabbed it with my hand. Thankfully I wasn't electrocuted, but it was hot. I dropped the tape in the tank so that's why the backing isn't on it yet. :D But more pictures will follow later on. Hopefully next Friday I will get my first two schools of fish. I'm so excited. I was going to add some green sand to the mix. I called the lfs this morning and they said they had one 5 lb bag which is more than enough. Then I drive the 30 minutes there, and they don't have it afterall. So that idea was scratched, but the pool filter sand that I used has a mix of red pool filter sand in it also. You can't tell it by the picture, but after I get some fish in the tank I'll take some closer up shots.

So, what do you guys think?

Attachments

• 55gal1_929.jpg
    55gal1_929.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 77
Wahoo!!!! It's finally here. :)

I like it already FF. I especially like your stocking plan (I never thought of using a spreadsheet...kudos for that one). You will have an amazon biotope with those choices.
I can't remember whether or not you are planting it??

Nice going...I'm sure you remember what I said I would do when it was up?

:pepsi: :pepsi: :pepsi: :pepsi:

Looks great to me - the tank, the stand, the driftwood, the stocking list - I am sure it will be worth all of your efforts! :D

Looks good. I have that exact same log decoration -- I opted to take the plastic, hot-glued plants off of it, though :p

The tank looks great and the stocking list looks like you put alot of thought into it.(y)
Just make certain that you never forget to close the lid - otherwise the hatchets might perform some aerial recon of your livingroom! Also, introduce the rams last if you can. Of the fish you have listed, they are the most sensitive to water parameters and will be more likely to do better in a stable, established tank.

Eventually, you might want to consider low light plantings. Anubias and Java fern would look great with the driftwood, provide cover, and help keep the nitrates low.

great tank fishy...
can't wait to see a pic with the background on...
i've seen very few people put this much thought into a tank... :mrgreen: ...

I opted for a scene background to give it more of a realistic look. I wasn't planning on any kind of bio-tope. In fact, I had no clue that's what I had. :D I am ordering a titanium heater tomorrow from Big Al's. I can't believe it broke. Nothing but the best for my little guys. :D

The Rams will be the last thing put in tank. In fact, it will probably be a good 6 months before I get them. I don't want to chance putting them in a tank that isn't suited for their needs.

I used the spreadsheet to try and organize it better. That way I don't mix fish that require different needs. This is my masterpiece and I want it to be perfect (in my opinion anyways). I am probably going to start with the Hatchets and Tetra's. Then work my way through the Pleco, then the cory cats, then the Rams. I may end up getting 2 gold and 2 Blue. I haven't decided yet. I am in love with the blue's and have always wanted to keep them.

Tomorrow I am going to put the backing on all of the tanks and I'll post pics after I do that. We haven't put them on since the move. It will take some time to get the backing to match the tank. Specific selecting of fake plants to blend with the plants in the backing. Eventually I would like to make this a planted tank. But that is farther down the road. I am going to do a medium to high light tank and really experiment with all of the plants that are out there.

Thanks for the words of encouragement guys. I couldn't have put this together without you guys.

BTW- Does my stocking list look ok in regards to the levels? I have 2 mid and 2 bottom dwellers and only 1 school of top dwellers.

You might want to consider putting the hachetfish in second to last.. JMO though.. :mrgreen:

btw. I think I remember you asking about the levels in one of your previous posts with your stocking list and I still think its a better stocking plan then most.. :wink:

What to you guys think in regards to the levels? This has me concerned since I have so many low and mid level fish. Or do you not see it as an issue?

nope, its all good. if you are too worried about the top you can strengthen the hatchet school. they are thin, figure-conscious fish, and won't stress your bioload much.
i've never actually seen a tank with a big hatchet school, might just be your trademark :wink: .

think about this....a densely planted tank, with silver hatchets floating on the top, with a dark blue background....its like clouds in the sky with trees and rivers (ahem, its all water :lol: )underneath....

I had thought about increasing the hatchet number. I am still under the general 1 inch per gal. And I am really over filtering the tank too. The Cascade 1000 filters 265 gal per hour. That turns the water over about 5 times per hour. I didn't want to just filter the tank, I wanted to overfilter it. That way I could slightly overstock it. Do you think 10 would be too many?

IMO, for schooling fish, there's no such thing as too many. the more, the merrier.

personally, i'm in favor of a little overstocking as long as the water change regimen is maintained. but then again, i don't mind taking fish out when it gets too overcrowded, and giving it to the lfs. some people get attached to their fish, and find it hard to give them up. its a sensitive issue :mrgreen: .

I do get attached to my fish. VERY attached. Like right now I don't want to get rid of my molly, but I know I have to. He's maturing and is becoming too big for the 10 gal tank. It's just so hard to do because he is so beautiful. He's orange, white, black, and gray spotted. He has a sailfin and his tail has shimmering blue. I just want to go out and buy a 29 gal just for him. :D

I think I'll increase the number of hatchers or maybe get 5 of two different types. Like maybe 5 of the Marthae Silver Hatchets and 5 of the Marbles.

its your call fishy...
its just that i'm not that emotional. but don't take it the wrong way, i do care for their welfare.

Back
Top Bottom