55 Gallon African Cichlid Filter Suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brandonv26

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just purchased a used 55 gallon tank which I plan to stock with various Malawai mbuna cichlids. What kind of filtration would be required on a tank like this? Sounds like canister is probably the way to go with maybe a secondary HOB filter. What I am wondering is what filter should I use for the canister filter? Should I use a secondary filter as well? If so, what should I use?

We currently have a 55gal set up with approx 20 fish in it. A majority of them are in the 1-3" range with about 3 of them larger than that. We have an Aqueon Quietflow 70 HOB and it works great at keeping our levels where they need to be. Now, we are full prepared to upgrade when it no longer keeps up with the load, but for now, it works.

No other suggestions? Was hoping to hear from a good bit of people to help me make up my mind.

You could get an aq70, or a 110. fluval makes some good canisters, a 405, or 406 would work well. Ive heard good things about rena's canister's as well.some ppl like the marineland bio wheel's, im not a big fan of them. I have a small bio wheel on my tetra tank, and it is pretty noisy.

Back
Top Bottom