75g South American Stocking Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jaked1123

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everybody! This is my first post here and I'm happy to be here! Long time reader though!

I came because I like the advice given here and I need some myself as I've only been keeping fish for about 8 months (my 29g tank). My question is in regards to stocking my new, cycled 75g tank.

Originally, I wanted to do a community tank centered around my lovely Angelfish (my avatar) but so far I've had a horrible time finding tankmates that work. Schools I like are either too nippy or too small for my Angel, and I've noticed said fish are also really small and kinda hard to see in a tank of this size. What I've decided now is instead of a ton of small fish I would prefer to take a South American Cichlid spin on this tank.

I love SA Cichlids and have always wanted to keep them, but I have no experience with bigger, aggresive fish. My stocking idea was the following:

1x Angelfish
1x Blue Acara
5x Boeseman Rainbows
7x Juli Corys
1x Firemouth
1x King Tiger Pleco
1x Blood Parrot

I know I'm pushing it with the parrot, but I think that big splash of red would make my tank perfect for me. The only problem is I don't know how compatible all these fish are, especially the corys. The reason I have them listed is because I already have the 7 of them in my tank currently and fishing them out would be a nightmare. What are your thoughts on this setup?

I think it could work. Just watch for excessive aggression especially as they mature. Give them breaks in line of sight with rocks, plants, and wood or a combination of things. Change out 50% of the water weekly.

I would stay away from a firemouth they can get very territorial and aggressive. I had to rehome my 7 inch firemouth because he killed my red spot severum which was about 9 inches. If the firemouth is with an angelfish it could easily kill it.

Yeah I'll take the Firemouth out of the question. That'll make it a little less stocked too.

Yeah I'll take the Firemouth out of the question. That'll make it a little less stocked too.
Not always the case. I keep one with other cichlids without problems. It comes down to specific temperaments of the fish you have. Watching them closely and removing the problem if it arises is the best bet.

Thanks for the advice!
If you have a lot of hiding spaces you could have a firemouth with an angelfish possibly but I wouldn't mix a possibly aggressive cichlid with an angelfish I'm just giving you my experience with firemouths

Back
Top Bottom