Adding New Cichlids help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mk1mom

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Currently I have a 60 tank and every time I add a new cichlids within a few days it dies. I'm wondering if I'm overstocked or my cichlids I currently have aren't compatible with what i am wanting.
I currently have 3 labs, 2 demasoni, 1 peach peacock, 1 turquoise peacock, 2 sunburst, 1 lemonjake and 1 moorii. I recently tried to add a red shoulder and a lithobate and an ob peacock with no avail. I don't want another dead fish any ideas.

There are quite a few possibilities but my guess would be aggression or stress. I always believe you should quarantine new fish for 3-4 weeks before adding them into the display tank to ensure they are disease free and healthy. When adding new fish never do it during daylight hours but always after the lights are out and the tank has settled down for the day. This gives the new fish a better chance at settling in peacefully.

My tank has been set up for 6 months and the heater is at 82.
Nitrates, Nitrites and Amonia are at 0 and PH is 8.2

You should have atleast 20ppm nitrates. **** near impossible to get below that. How are you acclimating these fish and are they comparable size to your current residents? You are under stocked so id suggests adding all the fish you want at the same time. All african cichlid are very prone to new tank shock because local lfs never keep them at proper ph/hardness. If you were keeping just mbuana in a 60 id stock 22-25 depending on adult size. If you were keeping just peacock/hap id stock atleast 20. All male tank id go even higher, not with giant haps tho of course. Id venture this is a stress acclimation issue tho.

Back
Top Bottom