Adding new fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tarheel0208

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am planning to purchase two angelfish to help control my population of guppies and platies. Actually one would do; but I have always felt there should always be at least two of the same species and more when a schooling fish is involved. I am not interested in breeding fish. I just like having a community tank with interesting fish to watch. In that case, does it matter if my two angels turn out to both be male or both female? If they turn out to be two males, will they be aggressive toward each other?

I will be adding these angels to a tank that was established about eleven months ago. I have been lucky with my fish in terms of health and have not added any new fish to the tank since it was established. Although a young man at my dealer's said it is not necessary to quarantine the new angels, I have read enough articles that say you "must," that I want to do it. I am afraid of the "dump and pray" method. I have several questions about quarantining new fish. How long do you keep them in quarantine? And what do I do when they are in quarantine? Do I just observe them for signs of disease? Or do I treat them for every fish disease known to man in order to guarantee that they are disease free?

Also, the same young man told me that the angels require a Ph of 7 or 7.5. (My water comes out of the tap at 6.) I said that I had read that angels do well in soft water. He said that the softness or hardness of the water has not much to do with the well-being of angels -- that angels are very sensitive to Ph. I may be confused, but I thought Ph determined hardness or softness of water: 7 is neutral; over 7 is hard; and under 7 is soft. I actually bought some things to put into the water to bring up the Ph from 6. But now I am wondering if I should just try to find fish that do well in the water I have rather than try to adjust the water to the fish I want.

I would be grateful for any advice anyone cares to give me.

--Tarheel

My water comes out of the tap at 6
Test your water after it has sat out over night. That will be the true pH.
How long do you keep them in quarantine? And what do I do when they are in quarantine? Do I just observe them for signs of disease?
2-4 weeks is standard. Simply observe them for disease :D
7 is neutral; over 7 is hard; and under 7 is soft.
ph is pH, hardness is read by gh/kh. What is the pH of your tank water?

Back
Top Bottom