Advise wanted.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VOZIE

Aquarium Advice Activist
Have a large Oscar and a Synspilum in my tank. The Synspilum is new and I have had the Oscar several months now.

When I put them together I was expecting some large fights at least until they settled a bit. To try and negate this I changed the tank decor around.

It appears I was wrong. In fact they seem to be sticking together and rubbing against each other. Is this normal. There is no signs of aggression at all.

What is going on? Am I likely to end up with some odd fish? Is this a good thing? I was under the impression both being territorial this would be impossible. As a result my Oscar is off his food which I have never seen before.

I await reply with a degree of curiosity.

That's not possible, Centrals can't hybridized with South Americans. With the exception being the excichlasoma festae which originates from Central America.

So is this just a friendship or are they just putting up with each other. I like it whatever it is.

What size tank is this?

My assumption would be that they are just putting up with each other. How long have you had them together? It's possible that the new guy is still getting used to the tank and hasn't decided to try to make territory for himself. Another possibility is you have 2 females, or a male and female and then they could definitely be alright with each other, but you won't get fry from them luckily.

You just doubled the bio load. How big are the fish? What size tank? Could be they are feeling a bit of ammonia while the filter catches up. What is your filtration?

The tank is 76g. Water is fine I check it most days. I have two external power filters one runs at 900 litres per hour the other I don't think is as powerful Fluval 405 I think.

I know the Synspilum is a male but there seems to be know way of sexing the Oscar. I do water changes every 4 days and make a point of changing the decor around about once a month.

Oscar ate today he had a treat of smelt which he can't resist. I don't think there is a problem or I hope not. They just don't seem to have much aggression and seem to always be with each other. This includes some confined spaces.

If there are no issues I am happy as I like to see fish chill out rather then fight.

Take it all back. They are scrapping.

Back
Top Bottom