African cichlid diet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rubigonz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I bought a prestocked tank with an assortment of african cichlids. Mbuna and frontosa. I have been feeding them a mix of different types of worm (frozen) and pellets, plankton, etc. I just read that you should never feed them worms of any kind or they will die.

So I have been feeding them this diet for at least 2 months. None of the fish died. Anybody ever lose fish to the worm diet? Obviously I know better now. But I am hoping it is not too late.

They all seem to be doing very well and do not appear to be ill or anything.

It's not the worms themselves it's the high protein in the worms will cause Africans to bloat which is deadly. Just feed them good quality food and they will be fine. I feed mine new life spectrum Thera a with the occasional brine shrimp.

It's not the worms themselves it's the high protein in the worms will cause Africans to bloat which is deadly.

That is indeed the case for the herbivorous african cichlids (due to their much longer digestive tract), but carnivorous cichilds (such as the frontosa rubigonz has) will thrive on a high protein diet.

But yes, you'll want to to be cautious with high-protein food items (worms, plankton, certain shrimp, etc) if there are herbivorous mbuna's in the tank.

Thanks. From now on I will just stick with the pellets. They love everything I feed them so hopefully they will digest everything that they have eaten and move past this.

Back
Top Bottom