African cichlid tank mates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Abig7ben1997

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 55 gallon tank all setup and need to stock it. As of right now i only have an albino channel cat and 2 "assorted" african cichlids. I would like to know what else i can put besides cichlids.

Africans should really only be housed with other africans. If you want a tank with a lot of different kinds of fish, i suggest getting rid of your africans and maybe do a community tank.

Sooner or later the channel cat will outgrow and eat the cichlids, then outgrow the tank. Buying "assorted" African cichlids is almost always a bad idea. They're typically auratus and zebra's, easily bred in FL ponds, and the most aggressive species for their size. Auratus in particular will claim the whole tank as their territory. Not a problem when they're small, but as they mature the killing will start. A 55 limits your stocking options for African cichlids, but you can keep several species of smaller/less aggressive mbuna after you get rid of the channel cat and sort out the "assorted" species you have now.

I wouldn't have taken the assorted cichlids but one of my friends need them to go to a good home so i took them. The channel cat is also going into a pond soon

I wouldn't have taken the assorted cichlids but one of my friends need them to go to a good home so i took them. The channel cat is also going into a pond soon

Keep an eye on them, of course we don't know how soon the cat will go into a pond, but they grow very fast and will eat the cichlids as soon as they will fit in it's mouth.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom