Angelfish wigglers; finally!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cyberkat

Aquarium Advice Activist
After the previous 10 tries my Angels have finally managed not to eat all of their eggs this time. So now there are 10-20 little wigglers as of last night. This afternoon I noticed that they moved the fry to another location, which I have been told they will do sometimes. But along with the wigglers on their new leaf (which lays somewhat sideways) there is the beginnings of a collection of aquarium sand and other stuff (food or poop?) I don't want to get to close so I'm not sure what all is there now. The male Angel seems to be cleaning other leaves in the aquarium. To me it looks like my Angels are attempting to feed the wigglers, do I still need to feed them if the parents are doing it already?
I was planning on going out tomorrow to buy the food and a baster but after so many tries I didn't think things would ever get this far and since the Angels
have already moved the fry once I'm worried about feeding them myself.
Advice please!!!!!

AWESOME!!! First off I just want to say that I have not had any luck raising fry and cant remember exactly what to do, but some points do stand out tho. I would definitely feed them as I don't believe Angels will feed the young very long, if at all. Try baby brine shrimp and make sure it very small, you may have to make soupy. Keeping parents with them is always a 50/50 chance of survival as they will always be at risk. Angels are known for good parenting, but mine seem to be horrible, lol. Keep the water pristine by performing DAILY water changes.

Thanks Mohican!
Bettaowner let them keep trying, just when I was giving up on ever seeing anything other than eggs this happened!
Before, I never knew that a fish could show emotion but now I have seen mine frustrated which has led to fighting (almost killed each other once), have seen anger as well when I moved the two to a smaller tank with only the two of them (they would glare at me after swimming to the front of the tank & I swear they seemed to "pout" after a while as well) and now I am seeing them take care of & guard their fry. It's amazing!!

i breed 10 pairs of angels and i love the hobby. after the fry lose there yoke sack under them i feed mine baby brine shrimp. i have atleast 2 batches of eggs every 2 weeks. donig a 25% cool water change will help the breed. . feel free to pm me any time

@ Bob mccoy-How many days does it take to loose the yoke sack? I try only to look at the fry when I feed them and I usually look up too see one of the adults glaring at me! I'm scared to do more since they've eaten every other batch of eggs, I don't want the fry to get eaten if I can help it.
Thanks again!!

it takes about 3 days then i feed them . i no it sounds mean but it usually takes new pairs about 3 or 4 trys before the maternal instincts kick in and they dont eat them. but feeding them wont cause them to get eaten. drop the baby brine shrimp as close to them as posible the parents will get a little pissy but its just protection instincts . if you ever want to pull the eggs out and hatch them your self let me no and ill guide you through how to do it. i like doing this cause i dont lose as many fry or eggs and its easy all u need is a 10 gall tank and a few other cheep things

How do I know the fry are actually eating? Am feeding fry baby brine shrimp one day (3x) & the following day I feed them Hikari First Bites (3x). My parent Angels seem to be eating less is this normal?

Fry are free swimming as of yesterday around noon! :) So far parents seem to be taking good care of fry. Today Mom kept collecting fry in her mouth, then going to a leaf she kept them on as wigglers and spitting them out. I think she expected them to stay on the leaf. :)

Mom & Dad are too busy taking care of the fry and are not coming up to eat. Should I just offer them pellet food for now, the flakes are sitting on the sand? Parent's are very protective, I'd like to do a water change (10%) but I'm worried about the parent's eating the fry; yesterday I changed my hob filter.

Fry are free swimming as of yesterday around noon! :) So far parents seem to be taking good care of fry. Today Mom kept collecting fry in her mouth, then going to a leaf she kept them on as wigglers and spitting them out. I think she expected them to stay on the leaf. :)

I know how she feels... Good luck with your fry.

Back
Top Bottom