Angels.. Easy?? Set up??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Robynleigh

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all, as I posted in another thread I'm considering getting out of guppies and into angels... Having no luck with guppies but my cichlids are awesome :)
What do I need for angels?? I'm only considering 2-3 of them, tank is 55ltrs that I'm considering using.. Any advice appreciated before I go ahead.

If thats litres then thats only 15 gallons which means u would be lucky to get 1 in a tank that small

I think you should have atleast a 29g for one angel. They do not stay that small. They get huge.

Yeah, I too suggest a 29g or 30g tall for angels. The only reason the ones you saw are so small is because they're juveniles. In my experience they usually get to about the size of your palm (not counting long fins if they're a veil type) and don't really take long to get that size. When I got mine his body was about the size of a nickel if not smaller. Now he's about as big around as a pop can after about 3-4 months.

I do like your choice in fish though! I love angels and have one in my 30g tall. Great fish, beautiful and very fun.

Yep wait tell you get a bigger tank IMO a 55 gallon is an absolutely perfect angel tank you could easily do a breeding pair and they will get large. But yes I agree With the minimum being 29 gallons.

Question - if I bought a very small pair, and put them in the 55 litre tank for now until we build the bigger tank over the next few months - would I be ok to do that? I am definitely upgrading there is no ifs buts or maybes there - but I'd be ok to start them in this tank? Opinions??

A 10 is way to small for angels just saying.

Agreed. That super cramped, basically like a betta in a cup. I think if you're just putting fry in a 10g that's fine for awhile but not an adult angel.

I'm finding a lot of conflicting information on this, I'm so confused now haha. Lots of people seem to keep a mating pair in a 10-20 gal. I'm in no rush to get the angels - I'm happy to wait til I build a new tank.

Wait tell you get a bigger tank they really need a minimum of a 29 gallon to be paired. In a 20 high you could keep a single angel IMO but not 2

So I've managed to get a bigger tank for angelfish, it's around the 30gal Mark.

Question - live plants - what do they like?? I have some Anubis growing on driftwood, that I'd like to add - would that work?

Also sand or gravel preferred?

And if I got 4 juveniles would that be ok?

Back
Top Bottom