Angels.. Easy?? Set up??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You can only put 2 MAX, with only some bottom feeders
You can add whatever, they usually like to swim through tall stem plants, but don't crowed it too much

Typically angel pairs are kept in a 20 for breeding purposes. The rule of thumb is 10 gals per adult angel. So, a 30 should accomadate a pair, and starting with 4 may give you that.Perhaps even 6 with the plan to rehome the extras if you get a pair. The caution here is that some angels are down right nasty and can start trying to kill off their conspecifics at an early age. Others are fine and I have grown out 6 in a 30 with no aggression issues. Any upright plants will work such as vals, Amazon swords, and the Anubias is fine. Angels don't care what the substrate is. The key to raising nice angels is to feed them well and keep the water clean, through large regular water changes. Water that isn't kept clean will result in angels that don't develop proper finnage.

I am not a compete fool, I do realise that - and have plans to move them to a bigger tank when they get bigger. Anyway who said I was going to put 6 in there?? I'd probably do 3-4!!

For 3 to four a 55 gallon is recommended
Oh, and I wasn't to you, I was talking to the person that said they kept 6 in a 30 gallon
If you want 4, you need to get them all the same size, and very small, once they get to be about 3 inches not counting fins, they need the bigger tank

These guys I'm buying are tiny ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393663209.255545.jpg I've ordered 4 to be picked up next week,

Can anyone advise on best tank temp for these guys?

I've decided to go black substrate (small gravel) - I'm really looking forward to getting them!!

Mine do best at 80-82f, when small, they seem to grow faster and look good. I once put an angel in a discus tank where the temp was around 84f and water was partially changed every couple of days, this angel grew bigger and faster than any other I had. I guess the point I'm making is warmer temps and lots of water changes work for angels. At the moment I'm growing a couple of dime sized angels in a twenty high at 82f and 50% water change every two to three days, had them for a month and so far they eat like crazy and growing.

What size are the one you're purchasing? There seems to be a new wave of tiny angels (pea sized) being sold at the big chain store pet shops, I would not recommend buying them since angels that small have a more or less 50% survival rate.

These guys are half the size of my palm, possibly a little smaller.

I have lots more questions - I know google can answer but is rather hear it from experienced people,

What kind of filtration? I'm guessing nothing with strong current?

What is the best food for them

And what is the ideal ph for them?

I'm sure I'll have more over the coming days!!

Mine do very well with New Life Spectrum pellets, Omega One flakes and the occasional frozen brine shrimp, blood worms even beef heart once in a while, they are very good eaters. As far a pH, I personally don't worry, my tap water comes out at 8.0, I would think ideally they would do well with a pH of 7 but I won't fret over it and it would not be a good idea to buffer the water.
Filtration I don't worry much since I do lots of water changes but I would not put anything too strong since they have a high profile.

The biggest issue I've ran into keeping these fish is their aggression towards each other where one can actually kill another which can occur but that is not always the rule.

I think you will enjoy your new adventure with angels.

My tap water is around 7.5, at the moment I'm running a cycled sponge filter in there - I will invest in another HOB I think.. And put that in... So many decisions!!

These guys are half the size of my palm, possibly a little smaller.

I have lots more questions - I know google can answer but is rather hear it from experienced people,

What kind of filtration? I'm guessing nothing with strong current?

What is the best food for them

And what is the ideal ph for them?

I'm sure I'll have more over the coming days!!

I use air driven sponge filters with mine. One tank also has a HOB that they don't mind.

A variety of foods. They are omnivores and will eat anything from algae wafers to beef heart. Supplementing their diet with freeze dried shrimp or brine shrimp is a good idea for extra fiber. They will bloat on some high protein foods.

Unless they are wild caught any ph will be fine as long as you acclimate them properly. Mine are kept at 6.8-7.0

I get so nervous when it comes to getting a new type of fish... I've put a lot of effort and care into my african cichlids and they are thriving and incredibly healthy - but I was a nervous wreck for about a week before I got them and a week after :-/ I can't can't fight the angelfish temptation any longer lol - they are an incredible, graceful fish. I might just go with the sponge filters then - I'll add another one to this tank as the one in there is only a medium sized one.

Another question - I may not be able to get more live plants for their tank straight away - currently I have some Anubis on driftwood there but that's it - are they ok with fake plants short term?

Another question - I may not be able to get more live plants for their tank straight away - currently I have some Anubis on driftwood there but that's it - are they ok with fake plants short term?

They are ok with anything, really, they do not need live plants and you will be fine with them. There is always that anxiety when getting "new" fish.
Some say they do well with long vertical type plants since angels are long from top to bottom and thin, the ones Im growing are in a bare bottom not planted tank mainly for easier cleaning of the tank.

Back
Top Bottom