Any input into breeding apistogramma erempogyne?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

michellev512

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just got a pair of these and they are beautiful but shy and not fairing well with my macmasteri...
So I've decided to give them their own tank and am going to try to breed.
Any insight??

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

As with most dwarf cichlids adding tannins to the water would be highly advantageous. (Indian Almond leaves come to mind for that job) along with %50 water changes bi-weekly if you are serious about getting them to spawn. Subdued lighting as well. Whats your M/F ratio? and also how large is the tank?

It's a 20 gallon tall. I have a pair and was going to get a second female.

Driftwood, sand, caves and almond leaves. I've read 75 degrees with low lighting.

Keeping them alone will likely help. I moved my pair if panduro from their loveless 10g. To a 20 long blackwater apisto haven and they dropped fry within a 10 days..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1419948935315.jpg
    1419948935315.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 103
  • 1419948950675.jpg
    1419948950675.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 114
I have 2:1 working in a 30l, they killed the 3rd older girl though. Each female has a spot on either end. I think the 20t may work, add lots and lots of caves. Sand substrate so tunneling is an option.

Hmm..then I may stick to just the 2. Since they are shy should I do any dither fish or just leave it to them...

Not sure... perhaps some Hatchets or pencil fish??

I would do hatchets. They won't even be near where the apistos occupy being the lower half. They will also pose minimal to zero threat to the fry when they pop-up. Also, Brookster. Will you have any Cac females ready to sell soon? I need 1 or 2 more for my tank and can't really find them locally except for at bi-yearly auctions. Thanks! :thanks:

Java fern, java moss. Many crypts will do well. Be careful burying the anubias like that, it can rot that way. Anubias does best attached to driftwood or rock and out of the substrate typically

Java fern, java moss. Many crypts will do well. Be careful burying the anubias like that, it can rot that way. Anubias does best attached to driftwood or rock and out of the substrate typically

+1. Petsmart has all kinds of tissues cultures.

Ok...I've hot the rhizome out of the substrate on the anubia. Going shopping! ?

I've had good luck with Staurogyne repens under low light (18" tall tank with a 17 W T8 bulb, water darkened by driftwood tannins). It'll grow more upright than it would under medium light. Mine are ~5" tall after four months. Also easy to find (Petsmart, etc.).

I second the hatchets suggestion. I've read that Silver (Common) Hatchets are more hardy and jump less than Marbled. But I've never kept them myself.

Hmmm...noticing my dominant macmasteri seems to like the female eremnopyge. Is this unusual? They are swimming side by side. In fact he is waggling at the other make macmasteri when he nears her...

Back
Top Bottom