Are They Compatible?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StevesPrettyCool

Aquarium Advice Activist
I been doing a bit of research and have picked these as possible stock for my 55. Tell me whatcha think. Also I know the common ratio is 3:1 female/male, but whats everyones thoughts/experiences on 2:1 ratio?

The fish are:
Jalo Reef Afra
Aurora
Yellow Lab
either Red or Cobalt Blue Zebra

trying to keep it around 12 with as much variety as possible, so thats why I'm curious about the 2:1 ratio. Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome!

You can try a 1m:2f gender ratio (it is do-able), however an overly amorous male can probably stress a pair of females.

Also aggression is not restricted to just the males. Sometimes females will go at it. A female being dominated by the other female and harassed by the male may have a hard time.

For a dozen mbuna's it might be a little better to go with three species in a 1m/3f ratio, rather than four species in a 1m/2f ratio. You can start with two females per species and add more required later.

If the 'aurora' is metriaclima aurora, then they're all compatible. If it's aulonocara aurora, probably not.

would adding any more than 12 fish help with aggression? i would like to have a nice community tank but I dont want to get greedy and add too many. an ob blueberry or black acei would be nice. and yes its a metraiclima aurora.

Back
Top Bottom