babies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nathanden

Aquarium Advice Freak
So i seen i had a pregnant cichlid so i caught her and put her in the breeder net. But she dumped some.

They still have theyre sacks well they live? They moving around alot

ForumRunner_20131213_210140.jpg

Cichlids are egg layers... What species of fish is it?

This is an African deminsi cichlid not a egg layer

Most africans are not egg layers

Usually if they still have the egg sac and they aren't in a tumbler they will die. Sometimes they can pick them up, but are you sure she didn't eat them?

Yes she still has them what's the time period when they loose the sac

Yesterday the babys were kinda swiming around would it be ok to strip her now?

ForumRunner_20131214_141859.jpg

Pic from last night sac pretty yellow

This is an African deminsi cichlid not a egg layer

Most africans are not egg layers

This is absolutely false. Many Rift Lake cichlids (including Pseudotropheus demasoni) are maternal mouthbrooders, which means that the female must in fact lay eggs. The eggs are fertilized by the male fish after she lays them. According to this article, the male fertilizes the eggs once they are in the female's mouth.

Also, "African cichlid" refers to a lot more than just Malawi Mbuna.

Last edited:
This is absolutely false. Many Rift Lake cichlids (including Pseudotropheus demasoni) are maternal mouthbrooders, which means that the female must in fact lay eggs. The eggs are fertilized by the male fish outside of the female's body, then she picks up the eggs to hold them in her mouth. Also, "African cichlid" refers to a lot more than just Malawi Mbuna.

I think that's what he meant, meaning they don't lay eggs in a nest and guard them.

That's entirely different than saying that a fish doesn't lay eggs. Just saying, other people read these threads looking for accurate informatino, we should really clarify these things.

This fourm is full of help but there are alot of people who think they know everything a pass on false info to people

So i agree with mama

To the OP...

But for sure, once the fry are "free-swimming," tumbling is no longer necessary. At this point, the fry will still have their egg sac, which will take several more days to be completely absorbed. This egg sac contains their food source so you shouldn't feed them until this is gone.

You could read more about it here. Good luck! Tumbling Cichlid Eggs

Folks I have removed some off topic posts. Please help us keep threads on topic. The topic of this thread is

So i seen i had a pregnant cichlid so i caught her and put her in the breeder net. But she dumped some.

They still have theyre sacks well they live? They moving around alot

If you have other questions or wish to discuss other topics, please feel free to private message members or start a new thread in the appropriate subforum.

Thanks!

ok so the baby's are out and swimming when can I feed them they have no sacs sticking out of there body but I can see the yellow inside them do I wait till the yellow is gone or can I feed them

ForumRunner_20131223_072647.jpg

beat pic I can get

Back
Top Bottom