Beat up yellow lab.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

missie

Aquarium Advice Freak
So, My smaller electric yellow lab has been chased a bit, so I netted him to see how he was doing. Poor little Guy, fins are frayed on the top and back. :(
I bought A tank divider for my smaller tank and gave him his own little space for awhile. My question is, does time heal his fins? Or what do I do about it? I would like to add him back to my 55 eventually, but I would like him to grow and get a bit healthier. Any suggestions would be lovely- as he is one of my fav little guys. thanks!:blink:

missie said:
So, My smaller electric yellow lab has been chased a bit, so I netted him to see how he was doing. Poor little Guy, fins are frayed on the top and back. :(
I bought A tank divider for my smaller tank and gave him his own little space for awhile. My question is, does time heal his fins? Or what do I do about it? I would like to add him back to my 55 eventually, but I would like him to grow and get a bit healthier. Any suggestions would be lovely- as he is one of my fav little guys. thanks!:blink:

My friends lab got beat up to but time did help it. He added some meds also. I could add some females and more fish to balance out aggressiveness because sometimes your tank can be under stocked.

Adding more fish is not an optiion as I already need more filtration in my 55.

Time heals almost all wounds! My snowflake cichlid had badly nipped fins and looking at him today you would never know.

IMO I wouldn't remove him from the tank unless he was in really bad shape. The concern is if you remove him for some time, when you add him back he will be the newcomer again and the other tankmates will try to show their dominance.

My suggestion would be to take out the decorations/rock work and rearrange. Be sure there are plenty of hiding places so they can each claim their own area. And, be sure your male to female ratios are good.

I've seen cichlids with almost their whole tail missing and it's grown back fully.My worry would be who the bully is and will he continue to bully.

As long as the water is clean, time is the best medicine for nipped fins. To repair fins, heat isn't really beneficial, but salt and slime coat will help. I'm sure you know the difference between being nipped and fin/tail rot. If the fins continue to fray or don't show improvement, some meds may be required as bacterial infections can result from injury. My yellows are actually the bullies in my tank lol and they are the smallest.

CraigMac said:
Time heals almost all wounds! My snowflake cichlid had badly nipped fins and looking at him today you would never know.

IMO I wouldn't remove him from the tank unless he was in really bad shape. The concern is if you remove him for some time, when you add him back he will be the newcomer again and the other tankmates will try to show their dominance.

My suggestion would be to take out the decorations/rock work and rearrange. Be sure there are plenty of hiding places so they can each claim their own area. And, be sure your male to female ratios are good.

I have tried re arranging the tank countless times, w no luck:( im afraid there are multiple bullies..I have a bigger yellow that bullies him..also a lupeili ( I always spell that wrng) & my albino (dont know exactly what he is) makes me sad! Welcome to cichlid keeping huh?

You could re-home some males...I had too with one of mine. I didnt remove the bully though..I removed the victim. Unfortunatly the bully is my best looking male lab.

Well, so far it has worked out. My little yellow ("sunny") Seems to be doing better while in his own little spot, he is no longer hiding and activly re arranging his space.. I hope he heals up and can eventually be back with the group! Thanks everyone for the comments.

This is exactly why I am re-homing my two remaining labs. The larger one was torn to bits by an even larger one that finally died (at about 4 years old) and now he is tormenting the smaller lab. Even when they were in a larger tank, they would pick on one poor fish. I had caves and all sorts of hiding places, but especially at feeding time, one poor guy would be chomped..The fins do heal pretty fast though and your idea of giving Sunny his own safe spot is great. good luck..I want to move on to friendlier fish..lol

these issues will continue to happen if you dont change your stock. how many fish do you have all together? and what species?

a.tetreault said:
these issues will continue to happen if you dont change your stock. how many fish do you have all together? and what species?

Please see my profile for stocking.

55 gallon cichlid tank with 1 african lamp congeonsis,1 leleupi,1 jewel,1 texas cichlid, 2 yellow labs, 1 kennyi,2 borleyi, 1 peacock

this is what is currently in your tank? any changes since then? i just want to be sure that this is correct before giving any advice or before anyone else gives anymore advice.

Definatly will heal.. My lab had his whole tail missing when I rescued him! But it all grew back in no time!

missie said:
Please see my profile for stocking.

Missie. I had the same situation going on when I had only 2 Yellow Labs: one larger and one smaller. I added 3 more Labs for a total of 5 and the aggression stopped.

BTW, I have had Yellow labs be torn up by big meanies and they have always recovered. Keep an eye out for fungus on the wounds, though.

Also, if you have only 10 as your stick list shows, you could probably add 3 mroe with no issues. So far as filtration, search the postings for JMedic's recommended DIY sump.

Back
Top Bottom