Beginner Cichlid?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bettababe1011

Aquarium Advice Addict
Would convicts be a good beginner cichlid? My dad is moving our old unused seventy five gallon tank to his apartment. I am trying to figure out what to stock it with. I'm thinking cichlids, but don't know which ones. Any suggestions or tips please?

Courtesy of Dakota's iPod.

A 75g? Lots of possibilities. You could do just about any cichlid you want. If you want a lot, africans are the way to go. If you want a community, angels would be my choice.

What exactly do you mean by beginner? Seeing some of your posts, I wouldn't call you a beginner. If you're worried about sensitivity, I would stay away from discus for sure. Rams also seem to be hit or miss, especially GBR's.

Cichlids are such a broad range of fish, you have endless possibilities. Convicts are pretty aggressive and really limit what else you can have in the tank IMO.

Ok. With beginner I meant a first timer with cichlids. And thanks, but I actually only have a Betta and a cycling tank. What I know is basically from research or what I've seen on here. I'm a beginner in my actual experience with keeping fish. I'll look into Africans. The convicts are so cool looking, but yes, very aggressive. I guess as I do more research I'll figure it out. When I started planning for my twenty nine I was clueless as to what I wanted to stock it with, but I decided on one fish and found others that made good tankmates that I liked as well.

Courtesy of Dakota's iPod.

The thing is, africans are way more aggressive than convicts. A convict wouldn't stand a chance against an african. But.. Africans will do fine if kept with their own. You can easily keep 20 africans in a 75g tank if you provide the proper environment for them. Lots of rocks, good filtration, and a high quality food.

I don't care much for a lot of the south/central american cichlids just because you're so limited in how many you can have. Oscars, for example, get so large and are so aggressive, there are only a few fish you can put with them. Having 2 or 3 fish in a 75g tank just looks boring to me. It's all personal preference though. If you haven't already, check out cichlid-forum.com and go to their profiles section. They have info on just about every cichlid that has been discovered to date. Lots of good info in there.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom