Behavior Interpretation?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDogg

Aquarium Advice Addict
ok i have a pair of Apistogramma nijsseni i am attempting to breed.

they have been ignoring each other more of less. more recently the male has shown so aggression towards the female. the female will turn on her side an wave her tail at him. sometimes he returns this sometimes he chases her. i have never seen him hurt her, and she does not hide from him. sometimes they will both take out aggression on the neon tetras i have in the tank (as targets :twisted: ).

it is a fairly heavily planted 10 gallon.

would you consider this breeding behavior? or is it more serious aggression?

If I had to speculate I would say that the male is ready and willing but the female is not. Maybe do a 2 gallon water change with cooler water to simulate a rainy season. I sometimes notice my male GBR's not really going after the females but they do go up to them and sort of nudge them several times. I would consider that breeding behavior as spawning usually occurs several days later.

Being the most aggressive Apistos IMO, it is probably the start of mating behavior. If it was out right aggression you most likely would not see the female or she would be a goner. I am not exactly sure,but I think that a head up display means aggression.

Back
Top Bottom