Best bottom feeder?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rutherford_3

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I went to the store the other day and saw a sun catfish the worker said it would do good in my cichlid tank. My tank is 75 gallons I have a jack Dempsey he's not in there yet I'm still waiting for it to cycle. But I decided to do research on the sun catfish. how big do they really get because I don't want a fish that's going to grow out of 75 gallons.

I believe that by "Sun" catfish, you mean what I call an "Eclipse" catfish (Horabagrus brachysoma). If so, I have a couple that are about 4 years old, and seemed to stop growing at about 8 inches. I think you'd be ok with 1 in your 75g with your JD, as long as that completed your stocking list. You'll need a couple places for your catfish to hide as they're light-shy except at feeding time.

I believe that by "Sun" catfish, you mean what I call an "Eclipse" catfish (Horabagrus brachysoma). If so, I have a couple that are about 4 years old, and seemed to stop growing at about 8 inches. I think you'd be ok with 1 in your 75g with your JD, as long as that completed your stocking list. You'll need a couple places for your catfish to hide as they're light-shy except at feeding time.

Thank you

If you are looking for bottom feeders in you're cichlid tank because you like them that's one thing. However if you don't over feed in my opinion there is no need to have one in a cichlid tank, they eat up mist all food on their own. In fact , do some research most bottom feeders excrete more waster than they eat.

If you are looking for bottom feeders in you're cichlid tank because you like them that's one thing. However if you don't over feed in my opinion there is no need to have one in a cichlid tank, they eat up mist all food on their own. In fact , do some research most bottom feeders excrete more waster than they eat.

Where does the waste come from they are excreting if they did not eat it?

I'm not sure what you are asking all I am saying bottom feeders crap as much or more than they eat so unless you just like bottom feeders for how they look , in my opinion they is no need for them. I have had African cichlids for over 40 years and have never had any bottom feeders. Any if you are thinking about getting a Pleco, African love to eat their eyeballs lol.

Back
Top Bottom