Blue Acara (Aequidens pulcher)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

captainGregor

Aquarium Advice Activist
Does anyone knows these species well? (Well meaning keeping them)
I have questions:
Many sources quote them to be peaceful community cichlids with species of their own size (say angels) Many sources also say they could get territorial when spawning.
Does anyone have supporting or opposing experience?

I know that they grow to 6-7 inches, so how many of those species could be kept in a 55 with 4 medium angels, 4 corys and 3 loaches?

Do they need sand?

please advise, help is greatly appreciated, they are beautiful species.

My experience with acaras is that they are peaceful in comparison with some cichlids. It really depends on the fish. I would be concerned about the angels. Although the acara wouldn't kill them you would not have the most attractive angels (fins). 1 may fair ok in your tank but pay close attention. And sand is fine.

I have three Port Acaras, 2 male and one female, they are fine with the other members of the tank but the two males have the odd fight with one another.
They are interesting to watch, i can sit at the tank for over an hour watching them.

I have had one death since getting them, my brown ghost knife fish, but i am not sure they were the culprits.
The ghost fish never seemed to eat even when live food was put in so i think it may have starved to death.

I am very very happy with my Acaras. They are probably 2.5 inches male, and maybe 2 inches female, and they are peaceful, do not bother anyone. When I first introduced them, my 4 angels got so bossy and started to order them around. That lasted for maybe an hour, and everything settled down. I build several caves for them, but they are not hiding. They eat like pigs though. They are beautiful. I will take a pic and post to my gallery. Let's see what happens...

Back
Top Bottom