Bolivian and german blue rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mayanearth

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is there a difference between a German Blue Ram and a Bolivian Rams? (other than their colors) Are they equally territorial, and do they like the same water parameters?
Thank you for your reply.

Bolivians are a ton hardier. But really, if you keep up with weekly pwcs and keep your nitrates in check you'll be fine with a gbr

IMO German blue rams are prettier. But I've heard Bolivians are hardier. Even though I've had no problems with my GBRs. Bolivians also get bigger. And they're are also supposed to be more peaceful.

Is there a difference between a German Blue Ram and a Bolivian Rams? (other than their colors) Are they equally territorial, and do they like the same water parameters?
Thank you for your reply.

Yes, they are entirely different species. GBR is Microgeophagus ramirezi, Bolivian is Microgeophagus altispinosa.

They're pretty even in terms of behavior. Peaceful toward tank mates generally, but can be territorial when spawning. Water parameters would be roughly the same. Bolivian are almost always easier to keep- there's a lot of really poor GBR stock out there.

Do Bolivians have any blue on them? Because at the LFS they Bolivians in the same tank as their GBRs, and I supposedly got Bolivians, but there is some blue on one them. Which of the two fish is it?

I've found Bolivian Rams very peaceful compared to the GBR's I've kept, although even with the GBR it's only a bit of chasing nothing serious and a bit of displaying. Most Bolivians will have some blue, red and yellow in them - pic is of my male Pablo, and one of my German Rams, as you can see they are very different.

Attachments

• image-2120146763.jpg
    image-2120146763.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 147
  • image-586998488.jpg
    image-586998488.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 136
Mayan, if you need help to determine what species you have, just post a photo of them if you can. We'll get it sorted out. Oh, and GREAT pics from Borderlesscott.

Borderlesscott said:
I've found Bolivian Rams very peaceful compared to the GBR's I've kept, although even with the GBR it's only a bit of chasing nothing serious and a bit of displaying. Most Bolivians will have some blue, red and yellow in them - pic is of my male Pablo, and one of my German Rams, as you can see they are very different.

How old is that bolivian its stunning!!!

I will try to post a photo of them on Saturday, and that is a really great photo.

Borderlesscott said:

Yes, very pretty Bolivian! My male is just starting to get his trailers on his tail. Not sure on the sex of my other Bolivian, hope it's a female.

There is a slight difference around the chin area on male and female Bolivians that can help you tell there sex at a you age, can be hard the though. I think the Bolivian female have a more rounded chin where as the males is a lot sleeker, narrow chin.

Back
Top Bottom