Bolivian Ram Behavioral Patterns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mlrust1816

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have two Bolivian Rams (One male and One female)

They have been acting quite odd lately, the male which is the larger of the two has always shown dominance over the female. He would continually chase the female around and also display territoriality when the female intruded into his territory.

But now everything has been reversed, they are both more aggressive both towards each other and also towards the other fish in the tank. The female now appears to be the dominant of the two and the male has resorted to hiding most of the day. The female actually now spends most of its time sitting in the males territory.

Another thing is, the male has tended to be darker lately (which I understand to be a sign of stress).

Could this be breeding patterns?

or

What explanations are there for this peculiar behavior?

IME, sexing bolivians is pretty hard to do until actual mating is occuring and from what you've described, it sounds like your "female/male" is actually reversed. Keep checking the area where the "female" is chilling out...you may have something brewing in there. :D

I agree with Jchillin. Something may be brewing. I just noticed mine found a nice smooth surface that they cleaned off. Looks like I may be in for another go around. :)

Back
Top Bottom