Bolivian Ram tank mates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fran59

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am wanting to build a tank around a bolivian ram as the centerpiece. I currently have a 29 gallon planted tank with

1 male guppy
2 sparkle eye something or other that I think is kin to a white cloud
3 corydora hasbrostatusdwarf
5 Otto cats
4 nerite snails

I plan to upgrade this tank to a 40 gallon breeder tank, but can move any or all of these guys into a 20 gallon long that currently has a lone powder blue male dwarf gourami. The gourami is alone because he is mean to everyone else. I have talked to the LFS and they will take him back.

I have the bolivian in a QT tank and am already in love with his amazing personality. So I want the 40 to be built around making him happy. I've read they like dither fish and wonder what might be good. Some other fish that I like are sparkling gourami, peacock gudgeon, and pearl leeri gourami but my foremost concern is for the bolivian and having a peaceful tank.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Frances

You should be fine with any of those fish with your ram. They mostly keep to themselves, I have gold and german blue rams in community tanks and the only time they get a little aggressive is towards each other.

There's not really much you can't put with Bol Rams. They do squabble amongst themselves though.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

There's not really much you can't put with Bol Rams. They do squabble amongst themselves though.

I have to disagree, I've got BR's with a platy and barbs in a 26g and no issues. With 1 ram in a 40g, the options are many. I'd do a biotope with catfish and a schooling fish native to the area.

I have to disagree, I've got BR's with a platy and barbs in a 26g and no issues. With 1 ram in a 40g, the options are many. I'd do a biotope with catfish and a schooling fish native to the area.

So do you disagree or agree, I'm confused!

If this helps... I have 4 Bolivian Rams with 2 Angels in a 40g, they've been in the tank going on 2 years and all have grown pretty healthy, no issues. Not sure what their sexes are nor care.
Rams are fun to watch.

So do you disagree or agree, I'm confused!

The statement was made there wasn't much you could put with a ram; I disagreed with that statement. In a tank that size there are many things you could put with a ram, including another ram.

The statement was made there wasn't much you could put with a ram; I disagreed with that statement. In a tank that size there are many things you could put with a ram, including another ram.

Why don't you try reading it again!!?

Thank you for pointing that out. In that case I must agree with your statement. Actually both statements are true.

Thanks for all your replies - I'm really enjoying the little BR, and am very tempted to get another as this one is very personable and as said 'fun to watch'.

I have keyholes, angels, rummies, hatchets, & am adding a bristle nose to my tank that has 2 Bolivian rams.

Thanks for all your replies - I'm really enjoying the little BR, and am very tempted to get another as this one is very personable and as said 'fun to watch'.

The existing one will probably chase the new one around the tank for a while, possibly forever. They aren't always keen on their own kind ime. Might be better getting a different cichlid of similar temperament, Keyholes spring to mind.

They're much more likely to get on if added at the same time.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom