Boring tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Critter1990

Aquarium Advice Activist
I need some type of change with my tank. I have a 55g tank with two jack dempsey. One female that is very shy/ skitterish about 6.5 inches long and a stunted male JD about 2 in. I have black gravel, 2 AC 50 filters with a fluval 305 canister. Two 3in PVC 90's as caves and a few fake plants. All my fish do is hide and I am bored of my tank. I do not know what else to do with it. Does anyone have any ideas???

I need some type of change with my tank. I have a 55g tank with two jack dempsey. One female that is very shy/ skitterish about 6.5 inches long and a stunted male JD about 2 in. I have black gravel, 2 AC 50 filters with a fluval 305 canister. Two 3in PVC 90's as caves and a few fake plants. All my fish do is hide and I am bored of my tank. I do not know what else to do with it. Does anyone have any ideas???

Add some giant danios as dither/target fish. They are constantly on the move and should help coax your jacks out of hiding.

I am not positive, I don't think u could fit anymore in the tank really.. You could look up fish that are compatible. I think silver dollar fish are, and they'll be out and about but be prepared to clean clean clean your tank and add more aeration.

But like I said 2 jacks in a 55 I'm not sure how much more u could add.

Add some giant danios as dither/target fish. They are constantly on the move and should help coax your jacks out of hiding.

+1 to that. Since I added a fish in with my dempsey he comes out more. And I didn't think of that giant danios are a good idea!

You may want to look into some German blue rams as well, mine are constantly roaming around my tank and are extremely colorful and fun to watch!

If u want movement if suggest the other options listed. Maybe some people are lucky, I'm not saying it can't be done but German blues just are iffy I'd say. I wouldn't. But that's IMO

Mine handle a breeding pair of angels just fine in my tank and are still happy enough to breed themselves so honestly I don't see why not.

No way that the meanest pair of angels can compare with a single jack much less two. Jack Dempsey are aggressive fish and would destroy angels and rams alike!

No way that the meanest pair of angels can compare with a single jack much less two. Jack Dempsey are aggressive fish and would destroy angels and rams alike!

As stated above by the op he has one stunted 2 inch JD and the other is at 6 inches and extremely shy, as of right now the gbr's would be a fine fish maybe not for the long run but I would hope that if the op plans on putting in more fish, he would at least give the larger JD a new home when the time comes.

As stated above by the op he has one stunted 2 inch JD and the other is at 6 inches and extremely shy, as of right now the gbr's would be a fine fish maybe not for the long run but I would hope that if the op plans on putting in more fish, he would at least give the larger JD a new home when the time comes.

At no point did the op mention anything about rehoming any of his fish.

Your right he didn't. I did say I would hope he/she would, never said it would actually happen.

Lets try to give the best advice based on the info given. I suggested danios because of the low bioload and because they can help the jacks out of hiding with their steady movement. Now if he decides to scrap the original stock and start over the options are endless.

My big jack is staying! I'm not gonna give up a fish I've grown up since 1in. I think I might just add 8-10 giant danios and see how long they last

My big jack is staying! I'm not gonna give up a fish I've grown up since 1in. I think I might just add 8-10 giant danios and see how long they last

They are fast and should be fine. Another thing is, they are very cheap, like 79 cents around here, so if you lose one or two it's not like losing a $6-$8 ram.

Back
Top Bottom