Can someone please I.D this fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big Derby

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I went to a pets at home today to buy some dog food and this fish had been brought to the shop as his owner was moving house, I was chatting to the member of staff who asked if I would re home him, they couldn't sell him because they don't know what he is. He seems settled and very chilled out, if he gets a bit chopsy with the other fish I will take him back. Any information would be greatly appreciated, thank you

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1400352352934.jpg
    1400352352934.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 176
Yeah he's definitely a cichlid, the picture isn't great. He's a gorgeous pink colour with dark red on his dorsal fin and tail edges. Thanks

I know, the light isn't great. It doesn't do him justice

Maybe a fire fish peacock. Female. Or it could be a unknown hybrid mix. Here is a firefish peacock. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400354373.476150.jpg

It is quite similar, maybe one of those mixed with something else, thank you for your help. I'll keep you updated on how he gets on

I think it's an albino Tanganyikan, not sure which one, I'm not as learned on Tangs.

looks like a hybrid of the yellow labs and peacocks

It's body shape and fin pattern do not match peacocks or Mbuna. I don't even think it's African. I can't remember the species, but there is a Cichlid with that exact shape, it gets quite large. Like 10 inches.

It's some variation of a geophagus. Maybe a colored down geo. Surinamensis but I'm leaning more toward a geo hybrid.

Yeah it doesn't look African to me. My guess would have been a Geo as well but not sure what kind. Just looks like a Geo to me.

1000000% positive it is not a species of geophagus, or satanoperca or any other earth eater genus for that matter. There are some leucistic variants of Victorian species that look similar to this, however the fish appears to be deformed as that body shape isn't very natural, which may be due to genetics or poor water quality when it was young

As a whole it looks more like a Geo than and African. That "hump" behind the head resembles Geo's quite a bit but the finnage and others makes me think twice. I've never seen a Victorian Cichlid that looks anything like that although I'm no pro on Victorian Cichlids by far. Could you possibly get another picture or two of this fish from a couple different angles?

Thank you all for your interest, he's become very attached to the largest of my 3 clown loaches

It was bugging me so I went and looked for awhile and I did find a couple of Victorian's it kind of resembled but that "hump" still likes more like a Geo. Some other pictures would be good but thats a tough one.

Thanks again

Attachments

• 1400649430622.jpg
    1400649430622.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 73
  • 1400649472028.jpg
    1400649472028.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 76
Back
Top Bottom