Can’t keep plecos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Love Angels

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I have a 75 gal tank. I used to have all cichlids and zero luck keeping a plecos alive.
I traded the cichlids in (they’d become very large) and now have angels and graumies and parrot cichlids. I purchased 2 mid size plecos yesterday. One remains alive this morning.
Tank is kept at 75 degrees.
Are these fish too aggressive for plecos?
What algae eaters are suggested for compatibility?
Thanks

Last edited:
I've never had a compatibility problem between my angels and plecos. Never kept parrot cichlids so I have no experience there. But my experience leads me to think other causes. Some pleco types seem a bit more delicate than others. What kind did you get? What are your water parameters?

I honestly didn’t pay attention to type. But, I will in future. I’m not sure what you mean “water parameters” . I’ve had this 75 gal octagon tank for ten years and just keep temp at 72 degrees and never completely change out my water. I’ve done pretty good on little knowledge keeping cichlids healthy but I’ve switched to these new fish.
Another question...does it matter if these fish feed often so long as the tank doesn’t show “over feeding” or am I harming them somehow?
They swim in a pack following me if I walk anywhere near the tank and I don’t know if they’re hungry or spoiled?

I'm rather impressed you've had a tank that long with minimal knowledge.

Quick run down. Water parameters is the water chemistry. Ph, ammonia, nitrates, etc. Some fish are better at handling higher levels of some of those things than others. Especially nitrates. A test kit would help you keep the water optimal and consistent. Dip Strips work but liquid tests tend to be more accurate.

Some fish, like angels, do tend to follow their owners around. It can be begging for food or just excitement for some new stimulus.

For plecos, they'll munch when they're hungry as long as food's available, some stop eating algae as much as they grow bigger and you might need to provide other food. Some like to chew drift wood some are blaise about it. Can you post a picture of your pleco? It might help figure out what you have.

I’ve had lots of learning experience along the way.
Thank you for your replies and your help

Back
Top Bottom