Cichlid Compatibility

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ian14

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just set up a 125 gallon tank that I was planning on making an all male hap/peacock tank. Unfortunatly I had to put a old 9 inch jack Dempsey in because I had no where else to put him, and also don't want to get rid of him because I've had him so long. I was wondering how it would work if I still did the male haps and peacocks plus a few other fish.

Could this list work? (all male and around the same sizes)
1 Red Empress
1 Lethrinops Intermedius
1 OB Peacock
1 Fire Fish/Dragon Blood
1 Ahli Electric Blue
1 Ghost Knife?
Maybe another couple types, taking suggestions

Would it be a big problem if I threw in a Green Terror and an Oscar? I've seen a few things online where people say they have done it
I'd also love to put an eel in there.

I'm really not worried about the JD because he is no where near as aggressive as he was years ago.

Please let me know what you guys think and make suggestions!
Thanks!

Do not mix the Africans with the Jd they will kill him. I would never do it anyway. I would reccomend against the green terror to highly aggressive fish. I think you could pull off a single Oscar single JD and some type of bottom dweller perhaps a syno cat or larger pleco like a royal or, salifin.

I just set up a 125 gallon tank that I was planning on making an all male hap/peacock tank. Unfortunatly I had to put a old 9 inch jack Dempsey in because I had no where else to put him, and also don't want to get rid of him because I've had him so long. I was wondering how it would work if I still did the male haps and peacocks plus a few other fish.

Could this list work? (all male and around the same sizes)
1 Red Empress
1 Lethrinops Intermedius
1 OB Peacock
1 Fire Fish/Dragon Blood
1 Ahli Electric Blue
1 Ghost Knife?
Maybe another couple types, taking suggestions

Would it be a big problem if I threw in a Green Terror and an Oscar? I've seen a few things online where people say they have done it
I'd also love to put an eel in there.

I'm really not worried about the JD because he is no where near as aggressive as he was years ago.

Please let me know what you guys think and make suggestions!
Thanks!

If you want Malawi, keep only malawi. Don't throw South american cichlids and ghost knifes in there. They don't speak the same language as the fish from lake Malawi. When fish posture to eachother, they have a specific language that varies from region to region. A convict can't understand an electric yellow.

The Ghost knife thing- just no. Way too hectic of a tank. It won't be healthy in there. Same reason, no to the eel. Rehome your Jack Dempsey.

Just malawi man.

Like said above, stick to one world or the other and don't but a ghost knife I with either To delicate. Those people online say they do it and everything is fine because they didn't kill each other for the first week. Then you never hear from those people again because they kill each other and they are idiots. Lots of those have come and gone on this forum. Don't be one!

Like said above, stick to one world or the other and don't but a ghost knife I with either To delicate. Those people online say they do it and everything is fine because they didn't kill each other for the first week. Then you never hear from those people again because they kill each other and they are idiots. Lots of those have come and gone on this forum. Don't be one!

Totally agreed ghost knifes can not handle cichlid aggression. That's why I think a sync cat or large pleco would be perfect.

1 Red Empress
1 Lethrinops Intermedius
1 OB Peacock
1 Fire Fish/Dragon Blood
1 Ahli Electric Blue

Would be fine in a 125 gallon tank. You can add more fish, but keep it to Malawi cichlids.
How about a small breeding group of yellow labs? A bi-color 500 peacock?

I dont know what to do with the JD then. Dont want to give him away

Have you tried him with a properly sized girlfriend? See if he will tolerate/pair up with a female. It's worth a shot. If he beats her up take her back to the store.
. We got him along with a couple other jack dempseys about 6-7 years ago into a 55 gallon tank and since then they eventually killed each other and he was the last one left. He was alone in the same tank for a year or two now at least. Maybe I could try that though and see what happens. I've always figured he was a male because of how aggressive he was and his size. Iguess I will make it a new world cichlid tank after all. It'd be cool if I could sneak an oscar and a green terror saw well. Not sure what else

Anyone want to confirm the gender by looking at the pictures?

Attachments

• image-3808107445.jpg
    image-3808107445.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 172
  • image-3798561737.jpg
    image-3798561737.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 200
An Oscar and he would be fine don't add a green terror. He would end up killing the Jd and O later on. Btw that Jack is a beauty.

Thanks! Would some more jack dempseys work? I know it was a disaster before but that was in a tank that was too small. What about fire mouth cichlids
.?

A fire mouth if you buy it at 3-4 inches would work IMO. also if you can find a large adult confirmed female jack it would work out fine I think.

I would like to do that but I have no idea where I could get one that is large enough and am sure its a female

Well then I really wouldn't add more Jacks it will be a blood bath.

Well then I really wouldn't add more Jacks it will be a blood bath.

Agreed. Don't get a small Oscar either make sure it's the same size or bigger. The dempsey will push around anything smaller.

If your JD killed the other JD's you don't want less aggressive fish like Fire mouth. I would try a GT like you wanted or a salvini would hold its own. If your tank is big enough (sorry didn't see the tank size) try a Jag 1 of those three not all three. If those don't work then you either have to getrid of the JD or keep him by himself.

Just went back and saw it is a 125 any of the fish I recommended would work you could even do 2 I wouldn't do more. Maybe a Midas would work as well.

That was a while ago in a small cramped tank. I think a fire mouth would do just fine. A Midas would be to aggressive it would kill a Jd easy. I also think a Green Terror is to aggressive for the JD. But I believe a Salvini would work well! I would get 2 of any species though just because if they end up breeding even 2 small Salvinis will kill a JD.

Back
Top Bottom