Cichlid help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cFolks24

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I'm new to cichlids.. This is day #4!! They are exciting to watch, but only from a distance because they are still very shy.
I was given a tank from a friend who basically didn't have time anymore.. Anyways I have a 30g with a bumblebee, Demisoni, Maingano, and a yellow lab fry... (Parents died before I got him).. I'm not 100% sure on the species name, this is just what I got..
My first question is regarding the baby.. He is probably around 3/4 inch. I was wondering if he is getting enough to eat. The other fish (biggest being 4inches) seem to get all the food!
Second question is on the color changing of the Bumblebee.. One minute he will be dark, dark gold almost brown and another minute he will have deep black stripes.. I checked water conditions today and all I found was that the alkalinity is alittle high but that's it!
Anyways thanks!!

That's not a yellow Lab fry, more likely a red zebra. Alkalinity should be high for Malawi cichlids. Bad news is, none of those fish are suitable for a 30 gallon tank, should be at least a 75.

I would put those fish in a 30g. Definitely no less and I wouldn't add fish but four mbuna would be fine in my opinion. A 75g minimum is a a little extreme (again just my opinion) I keep my mbunas in a 55g and they're perfectly fine.

Also, your bumblebee will change colours in an instant. They're one of the fastest colour changing cichlid or so I have read. Mine did this all the time as juveniles. As adults they don't do it as extreme anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Fish will change color depending on light and stress.
I'm surprised the baby made it this far with the bigger fish around.
30g is tight for them, 55g would be better. Africans do better in bigger groups, they seem to be less shy and more active when the tank is a bit overstocked.
I suggest doing some research on the net on these fish, lots of good information out there.

Thanks guys, the tank has like 70 gallons of filtration. I've heard to over stock a cichlid tank to keep them from establishing territories.. But I'd have to research more on that! And yes, I wasn't sure about the fry considering I've never seen the parents!

Back
Top Bottom